Flats and Rounds, Bright and Warm sound basses

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 999Brent, Sep 7, 2018.

1. 58 P with Flats, 63 P with Rounds

27 vote(s)
    49.1%
  2. 58 P with Rounds, 63 P with Flats

28 vote(s)
    50.9%
  1. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks, my mistake to include wood, should have just said warmer vs brighter bass.

BillMason likes this.
  2. 999Brent

999Brent Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks, changed the title.
    I never even thought of the maple/ rosewood debate when I made the tread, by bad for a poorly phrased title.

Lobster11 and BillMason like this.
  3. I absolutely loved my '58 with TI Jazz Flats. I only got rid of it because the neck was so big, but that sucker with flats was killer.

4. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    If not already mentioned, the '63 AVRI has a slightly hotter pickup than the '58.

As mentioned so many times, it is stereo-type to think that a maple fret board is brighter than rosewood. Wood will sound any way it wants to.

There are some very bright sounding flat wounds now. Fender's currently made flat wound strings are very bright.

So, your bright vs warm sound for flats is gonna depend on your choice of flats. There's a lot of excellent reviews on the net for flat wound bass strings. Google a search.

BillMason likes this.
  5. There is a slight difference I’ve detected between rosewood and maple necks. The difference is there whether they have flats or rounds on them.

Not to turn this into a flats vs rounds discussion, but you can get really close to a flat type sound using round wounds, but you are never going to have anybody mistake a set of flats for rounds that have had more than 4 hours of heavy use.

IMO (for whatever that’s worth, and I expect that isn’t much)..if you absolutely have to have a set of flats, I’d put them on the one with a maple neck, play it for ten minutes, then reinstall those round wounds and forget about the project.

6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008

Both bass using stock roundwound, both are different tone, but 58 sound little scoop to me.

7. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Doesn’t Fender install 7250 rounds on every bass at the factory? Aren’t the basses in the video American Originals?

8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    58 pup on 50p and 63 pup on 60p.

9. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Must be the difference between maple and rosewood. :)

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I would like to suggest OP swap between both pickup for a experiment.

11. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008

Do you hear notible different in tone ?

12. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    I completely agree that the ‘58 pickup sounds brighter than the ‘63. I actually said that back on page 1 or 2.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021