Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flats and string thru body????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jackson0321, Sep 14, 2005.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    has anybody done this. i wanted to but my flats on my pbass thru the body but the e string seemed so stiff at the end i was scared it would break.

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    You're fine. If it really bothers you that much, doesn't that bridge allow string-thru-bridge?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not all string-thru-body Fenders let you string through the bridge. But yeah, you're fine. The angle on the strings isn't all that great. It just looks that way. But it has two different angles that keeps the string from having to do any right angle bends.

4. Not a problem at all. I've used Fender 9050 flats on my thru-body for about 5 years without any trouble.

5. dont waist your time w/ string thru body. there's no diffrence.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I recently diagnosed a dead E string problem on my fretless Jazz. Turns out that it was due to the saddle of the E string being very close to the hole for the thru-body stringing. This caused the string to bend at nearly a 90 degree angle to make the break over the saddle. The string was not making good contact at the saddle, resulting in every note on the E lacking sustain and tone.

So, in my experience, stiff flatwound strings + through body stringing + sharp angles over the saddle = no good. YMMV.

7. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have had Ernie ball and Fender flats stringed thru body and i have no problem at all!

8. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I just called Labella to find out what length string I needed for my 55-01, and the first question was whether it was string-through-body or not. Seems that's a BIG no-no, at least with Labella, as the strings are easy to break. That's what they told me last week. I ended up getting a set of Sadowsky flats because the XL scale 5 sets would have to be special order. Labella makes the Sadowsky flats.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    They are easy to break. When I put a set on a 32" scale bass the E string had about 3/4 of a turn around the post that had no silk wrap. The string snapped when I came up to tension. Thinking it might be a defective string, I tried a second set and had the same result.

I wanted to try LaBella's but the short scale flats are too short for 32" scale (even strung through the bridge) and the long scales snapped E strings.

I use TI's now. The JF324 set fits strung trough the bridge or the body. :cool:

10. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC