1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flats and what to put em on

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Nov 3, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    By process of elimination, I'm thinking of putting the set of flats my bass teacher gave me (For FREEEEE, yay endorsements!) on my Peavey Cirrus, at least until a Marcus Miller signature Jazz magically appears in my hands and/or until I have enough money kickin around to buy one. I am very curious about the tone/feel of flats. I'm a little bored with the tone of the Peavey these days and have been playing my Sterling more. So I'm thinking of mixing it up a bit.

Has anyone else ever put flats on a Cirrus? Do tell!

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I am interested in hearing more about this! I love flats, but I'm not a fan of the cirrus tone. I wonder if the two together would be awesome! I've only ever played a cirrus with rounds, and the tone is just too crispy for my taste.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Not Flats.. But it is a Cirrus// I THINK?/
    I wish i could find a Cirrus like this with maple neck... Love the tone in the solo area

4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from with the tone and I think it's why people either love or hate the Peavey Cirrus. It comes off as kinda generic and thin at first and I would think it's even more so if you're used to a more ballsy low end, like a Fender or similar. Now that I have a Music Man, it's a little weird to go back and forth between the two basses because I get used to a heavier, more defined sound. So I'm thinking maybe the flats will at least give the tone of the Peavey more character, although I'm a little worried it'll kill it completely and make it sound lifeless. I guess there's only one way to find out. I'll do some recordings before and after and post the comparisons!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, there really is only one way to find out.