1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flats concidering my setup

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by epoxyjazzbass, Jul 22, 2008.

1. epoxyjazzbass

epoxyjazzbass

Oct 28, 2007
    Hi,
    First I' m a jazz bass player with rotosound 45-105 rounds.
    But I will try to play in a stax/motown group and will have to try a diffrent kind of setup.

I will a play a RI'62 Pbass with a 230 acoustic amp.I know acoustic is not ampeg but I will not try to use my swr baby blue for that.The acoustic is not that bad I think.

So I want your opinion for a set of bass string with this setup.
    Do you think flats are necessary the best choice ?
    And what gauge and material ?

2. david fitch

david fitch

Feb 20, 2007
    Flats are not 100 % necessary but if you really want to nail the 1960;s Soul Music Bass tone I would use them. I love and use the D'addario Chromes. They are kinda brite for a flatwound but I welcome that. I like the 50-105 set but some think it's a little stiff. The next gauge down is 45-100.

3. Stax/Motown group? RI62P?

You can start and stop with LaBella 760FM's.

Or try their Jamerson set.

/thread.

:)

4. I was at the Stax Museum in Memphis last Saturday. They had three different P Basses there, and all of them had flats, including Duck Dunn's that has the same flats since 1967.
    As for what flats to use depends on what you like. LaBellas were popular during that time, but you may opt for a slightly different sound such as TIs or or D'Addarios.
    I kinda like GHS Precision flats myself.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021