Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flats dont feel good for my fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jul 28, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey!
    i put flats today for the 1st time, and feel them very uncomfortable for sliding....

is this comon? cause i did a search and readed twice that people may find them comfortable :confused: .

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    give 'em a little time to get used to them....

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Your finger is coming in contact with more surface area of the string... Takes a bit of getting used to. Also, like mentioned above, they do mellow with age and use...

Of course, they are not for everybody, even after they break in. I would give them at least a month or so before deciding, but that's just me, (they should start feeling better at least within a week or so)... A few years ago, I tried some Rotosound Flats and they were absolutely not my cup of tea, even though the guy who recommened them swears by 'em, (He's still got my old set strung up on one of his basses!). Now, I cannot imagine my P bass wearing anything other than the D'Addario Chromes that I put on 5 months back!

YMMV
    -robert

4. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I love the thump of flats.. but slides on them remind me of Disco Inferno (Burn, baby Burn!)

Once you get used to them, and your fingertips get as thick as elephant butt skin, you'll be fine.

There's a LOT more surface area your fingers hit, and the strings compensate with friction and heat.. You'll get used to it though.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Once your fingers get tough it wont burn so much,heh

6. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    ok" thancks everybody!

i installed 0.40 earnie ball into a 77`jazz!