1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats for 5 strings 35" scale

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by seanm, Oct 1, 2008.

1. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I bought a Lakland 55-01 and am finding the choices in flats underwhelming :atoz: A 35" scale 5 string seems to really limit my choices. I do *not* require through the body. Through the bridge is fine.

There are the Chromes... but I was very unhappy with them on my G&L. Basically you get the light set with a B and so the E is, IMHO, weak. I know a lot of people love the 45-100 chromes, but I am not one of them (except on short scale basses...). Maybe I should get the 50-105 set and buy a B string? But I am worried it would be unbalanced. If anybody has tried this I would *love* to know.

There are LaBella, but I have only found the FMs and I really really prefer the FLs. If anybody knows an online store that sells the FLs in extra long 5 string sets, let me know.

Lakland has nothing, Sadowsky is out of stock.

So I am left with TI. I may have to give them another try. Maybe you can convince me they are good for classic rock ;)

Any other ideas?

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    GHS? I have liked the GHS flats in the past. GHS makes the Lakland flats, too, so I'd bet they are very similar.

Sadowsky flats on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sadowsky-SBF45B...5487074QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

I had a set of Sadowsky flats on a Stingray for a while. The D string was very different sounding than the others. I think it may have mellowed over time to match, but I couldn't wait that long. :)

The TIs would work ok for classic rock, imo. They mellow nicely after a while.

3. On my BTB555 I've used Ernie Ball Flats, and they're great :)

4. Solofunkyjazz

Solofunkyjazz

Sep 15, 2008
    Coventry UK
    Status - they make really nice flats, I don't play classic rock, when I use them I go for a Steve Lawsonesque sound, but I'm sure thye'd be fine for it.

Email them though, because they have brought out a light gauge, 120, 100, 80, 60, 40, 30, that's what I use on my 6 string, they didn't show on their website last time I looked, but they do have them, they're in the process of updating the site I believe.

5. stevethebassguy

stevethebassguy

Feb 3, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Endorsing Artist, MonoCase, Aguilar Amplification