1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats for 70's Jazz slap tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Apr 21, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I like flats on a P Bass, flats on a Stingray and even flats on a 60's era/style jazz but always put rounds on 70's era and style jazzes. I am thinking of giving my 74 AVRI a ride with flatwounds. Any suggestions one what flats you use for a jazz with flats slap tone?

2. I'm not a slapper, but if I were to be looking for a set of flats for a Jazz bass for slapping, I would try the new Dunlop Flats as they're not as stiff as traditional flats.

armybass likes this.
  3. TimB 619

TimB 619

May 28, 2010
    Cape Cod, MA
    Maybe TI Jazz flats, or Chromes? I'm not a slapper either, but they certainly have plenty of brightness for that.

4. The fender flats , but the tension is awful.

5. TimB 619

TimB 619

May 28, 2010
    Cape Cod, MA
    The one's made since 2010 are better in that regard, but it would be nice if they made a set with a gauge similar to the .040-.095 Chromes.

6. Chromes for sure. I have Chromes on my Jazz Bass and they really growl.

7. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    Funny you posted this... I've been on a big string experimentation kick on my Jazz Bass. I've been swapping Sunbeams, GHS Precision Flats, and DR Lengend Flats back & forth. I just picked up a set of Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalt Flats (40-95) and they're great so far... I don't slap, but had to give it a try with these strings ;) Bright, growly, clear. It remains to be seen if the clarity & brightness will stay or if they will darken and mellow as they age. My initial impression is that they'd be my #1 recommendation for someone like yourself looking for a flat that can slap.

RaggaDruida and armybass like this.