Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats for a 35" scale bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by appler, Feb 11, 2006.

1. appler

appler Guest

I'm using Lakland Joe Osborn flats right now but I'm looking for something with higher tension and a long enough scale to work on my 35" scale Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn. I saw on JustStrings.com that La Bella makes a five string Fender 1954 set. Does anyone know if it's long enough?

Thanks!

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Don't know the answer to that, but D'Addario Chromes fit on my 35" scale Peavey G-bass (4 string) without trouble. I did have to peel off a bit of the silk wrap at the nut. The Chromes do come in a five string set.

3. appler

appler Guest

Cool, man. What is the tension of the Chromes like? I've heard they're very bright for flatwounds. Any truth to that?

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Yes, I would say that they're bright for flatwounds. The tension is a bit higher on the 35" scale bass, especially the D and G strings, but it's not a big deal to me. They are now on my Rumblefish (34") and the tension is unremarkable one way or the other on that bass. They are nice strings and I think a fair number of people on the forum use them.