1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats for a Dano Longhorn

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Marcocolo, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Marcocolo

Marcocolo Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Fairfield,Iowa
    Just got my Longhorn today and in need of a string recommendation. I've read about how good the La Bella Deep Talkin' flats are and was wondering which gauge to get for the short scale Dano?
    Any others sound killer on the Longhorn? Looking for strings that have lots of bottom and tonal range. Thanks all.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Try Thomastic JF324 flats.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
  4. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I've heard Pyramid and Labella flats on them, and both have enough midrange definition to make the Dano sound great, in a thumpy old school way while still retaining some clarity. The Pyramids were a bit throatier, which I like on the Dano, while I prefer Labellas on Fenders.

5. patman01

patman01

Oct 25, 2007
    I have two longhorns--I too thought flats would be the way to go, but have since decided that (after trying various combinations) that the darn things sound best with rounds

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The original Danos came with roundwounds, even though roundwound bass strings hadn't yet been invented according to some experts. At least my Dano Longhorn bought in 1961 came with roundwounds. Don't know who made them but there weren't many string makers in those days. They reminded me of those awful Black Diamond guitar strings and sounded like them. Thankfully they went dull fairly quickly. Many of the flatwound strings being made today are far better sounding strings than the flatwounds back then, at least in my opinion. The vintage crowd wouldn't agree.

Anyhow, I'd use flats on a Dano Longhorn but not a stiff, heavy guage string. I like the Thomastics more than any other because of their lower tension (something I'd be concerned about with the skinny Dano neck) and the fact that they produce a balanced sound with some bass.

Of course it'll be easier and cheaper to find roundwounds to fit the Dano.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Flat do sound good.
    But, I agree. ( rounds just work better)

Ken Smith "Compressors"
    Kill on a Dano.
    I tried at least six different set, of string.
    Till I settled on "Compressors".

8. Marcocolo

Marcocolo Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Fairfield,Iowa
    Thanks for all the feedback. Can you guys tell me if there are any issues with fit on the tuners w/ these recommendations? The Thomastik are 32" - is that a problem? Are the Smiths long scale and does that make a difference? You get the idea. Mark