1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats for fretless 6

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassteban, Nov 2, 2006.

1. I searched & couldn't find exactly what I'm after. I'm probably going to have a fretless 6 built; 6-string, bolt-on ash neck, semi-hollow(likely basswood, cedar or mahogany body w/cocobolo top), passive Bartolini Js. I had afretless 4-string built similar to this, & I'm trying to cop it's tone. It had LaBella flats & the most amazing swell & bloom to the notes- not your typical 'mwah', but very vocal. Lots of mids & lots of versatility via PU blend adjustments. I'm tthinking either LaBellas(if they do a 6 set)or TIs. I like mids & low tension, if that helps. What do you think? :eyebrow:

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I would go with the TI Jazz Flats. These strings are simply amazing. I created a thread not too long ago asking about flats for a 6 string (fretted). There wasn't a lot of response to it.

I know that Steve Lawson uses flats on his 6er's.

I just like the sound and feel of flats. The TI's will be around $70. I've had a 4 string set on my fretted P-bass for about a year and they still sound great.

Joe

3. I'm leaning towards these- I've heard nothing but good stuff about them.

4. Don't know if LaBella does a 6 flat set, but Carvin does, and their strings are a lot like LaBellas. Plus, they're cheap, so if you don't like them, no major harm done.

5. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I have a custom signature set from the Bass Centre - not yet available just over the counter, but if you contact them, they can sort it out. - they are fantastic strings, which go from 028 on the C string to .125 on the B. I love 'em!

www.basscentre.com

cheers!

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

6. Thanks, Steve- of course I thought of you when I first considered this question. Although I'm leaning towards the TIs, it will be sometime before I actually have the bass these strings will go on, so I may waffle a few times. What are the Basscentre strings made of?

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I use LaBella Tapewounds on my 6 string fretless and I love them.