1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats for harder rock?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bthiemann80, Jun 13, 2007.

1. I recently acquired a Fender 50's reissue Precision Bass and though I LOVE the feel/vibe and sound of the bass with my practice amp, whenever I plug into my rig (ampeg SVT classic head w/ ampeg HP8x10 cab running dbx160a comp, but just barely) it always sounds like its being over driven at any volume. There's alot of harshness and fret noise, its weird because through almost any other amp it sounds fine and any whenever I use my jazz bass w/ rounds through the rig it sounds incredible.

Anyways, my question would be does anyone have any experience using flats on a pbass for heavier/prog rock? I've heard lots of good things about flats, but from what I've heard of people playing flats, I dont know if it would be a good match for me especially when my guitarist is soloing and the bass needs to have a certain presence.

2. I play a lot of hardcore and I used rounds when I had a Fender. I liked the tone, I did try flats and they did play nice but I thought the rounds sounded better. Now with my Ibanez I am using semi-rounds and they are great, I wish I had thought to try these with the Fender. I hope that can help a little
    :bassist:

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    I believe Steve Harris has about 30 years of experience using flats on a P-bass.

4. That is true, but i've never been a fan of Iron Maiden or Steve Harris's bass tone. I know Ben Kenney from Incubus plays GHS precision flatwounds on a lakland joe osborn jazz bass and that sounds pretty good.

I've also heard that flats decrease sustain and clarity, is that true?

5. congrats on a nice bass, i used to own one of those and i mainly used ti jazz flats on it. cut through quite well in a bluesy/rock situation. chromes are alright too, but theyre a bit higher tension. fender flats are great for the oldschool thump sound. just experiment man, thats the best way.

6. Right on duff84, thanks for the input.

7. Flats will do fine. I play thrash and I had the same doubts, that you would lose your bass' bite. I didnt and I have the same presence without all the scraping and distorted sound. I almost got rid of my Spectors because they sounded too harsh. Flats fixed it. Now shes smooth but still present in the mix.

8. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    :eek: :confused:

9. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    This is exactly why I am thinking of gettinr rid of my Spector! I'm gonna try Flats...which kind do you use?

10. I would go for D'addario Chromes as a first flat. They're relatively bright and of average tension. Fender makes woodier sounding ones, TI makes an amazing light-tension one with a lot of mids, and La Bella makes a good Jamerson/Motown one.

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Chromes, Rotosound and Sadowsky make the flats that I feel work best for what you're describing.

Steve Harris uses fresh Rotos for every gig, unlike most flat users who slap them on and forget them. I think it has a lot to do with his signature tone.

12. I use the D'addario Chomes everyone talks about. They did exactly what I needed. THey got rid of that offensive edge and all the fret smacking the steels were giving me. THese are much smoother, really let the Spector breathe...smooth.

I notice you play a Euro 5. I will warn you, my flat B string was trash. Just gave a thud and not worth the extra $$$. I bought a 4 string set and left my B a steel. Now, that gives me great sound all across the neck. Cheaper too.

13. I've been thinking about putting flats on my jazz, on which I've been using SS Lo-Riders. What flats have the closest tension to DR Lo-Riders? I'm going into the studio with my band in August, and probably won't be doing my tracks until mid-August. So I plan on putting them on in July to let them wear a little by the time I start tracking. Just to give the flats more time to settle, I might even do all my J-bass tracks last.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021