Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats for heavy rock?!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dave120, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So my primary bass (Washburn Taurus) has strings on it that are beyond the dead point. I didn't have time to go buy some and change them before practice yesterday, so I pulled out the trusty SX P bass that I have strung with Fender flats and used it for the entire rehearsal. I have to admit, I got a lot more than I expected out of that thing! Keep in mind I play in a rock/hard rock band that plays a majority in dropped D and E flat tunings, so flatwounds were not in the "usual" formula for this type of music based on what most people say. I played both fingerstyle and with a pick for about half of the time.

Is this really a workable formula for modern heavy rock? A p bass with flats? We play some Velvet Revolver/GNR covers with our originals being mostly in that style. I have to say, my fingers felt a lot better after practice using the flats instead of rounds like I usually use!

Anybody else had experience like this using flats?

2. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Great combination! check out what Steve Harris is using.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Use what you want. The audience doesn't care what kind of strings you use.

4. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I used Labella tapes on my fretless active jazz bass........hard rock and classic metal. Here's the fun part; start trying different strings until you find what works best for you. Yes it's pricey, but all the opinions and research for the perfect flat wound may not bring what you want. trial and error...it's an adventure!

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    As far as flats go I like the Fender ones well enough. Not that I've really tried that many, but I like the high tension somewhat. I use Rotosound nickel RS66 on my other basses, which are also sort of high tension which is probably why I like the Fender flats. I was just surprised that they sounded so good for that heavy rock and dropped tunings! This bass was supposed to be my vintage project which I haven't done to it yet, but now I'm tempted to buy another one to use for the band! I also want a Jazz though, maybe I should just buy like 3 or 4 more basses, that should keep me happy for about...2 days! :D

6. parttimeluthier

parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    My 17 year old son is in a power trio that plays a blend of punk and edgy alternative. His bass (p-bass type) is strung with fender flats and every time I see his band play I am really happy with how the flatwounds sound when he plays. The lead singer switches between guitar and keyboard and I think that the Flatwounds help stand out from the piano sounds better than roundwounds do.
    Generally you wouldnt think of a young punk/alternative band and flatwound bass strings in the same context but it works great for him.
    My bass has been strung with Flatwounds for a while now too and everytime I play a bass with roundwounds it sounds kind of funny to me now.

7. Honestly, if you as a player are versatile enough to make it work it can happen.

What matters most is what it sounds like to you.