Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats for my 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by level_1, Jun 14, 2004.

1. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I have a Yamaha TRB-5II that I want to restring with flats. It has a 35" scale with active electronics. I am using D'addario XL's right now and have too much growl for my taste. I am new to flats so I have a question. Are there any flats out there that I can try that won't require a major change in setup (i.e. truss rod tweaking, I don't do truss rod tweaking)? I have to drive 70 miles to get to someone who does good setup. If there aren't any out there I can try easily then I will probably just bite the bullet and get a set of TI's or LaBellas and have the tweaking done. I have heard but never played flats and love the sound. Thanks for any help offered.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  3. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    Thanks Figjam. I had found that string searching the other day but didn't remember some of the suggestions. Do you have the Laklands on yet? If so how are they?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I ordered them but i got an email saying they were out of stock, and they wouldnt come for a few weeks, so i dont have them yet.

5. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    The LaBella DTB flat set has the only tapered flatwound B in existence as far as I know. Just a word to the wise. :bassist:

6. level_1

level_1

Apr 18, 2004
    Central CA
    I talked to Steve at the dudepit by phone yesterday and he said the LaBella DTB are pretty close to the same tension as what I have on there now. He even pointed me toward someone who carries them since he doesn't. Kudos to Steve at the dudepit. I will definitely buy from them the next time I need something. I haven't purchased anything from them and they gave me great service. When I go into the local shops and try to get info on flats to a person all I have heard was "just use dead strings". It was nice to talk to someone on the phone that would give useful and knowledgable information and not try to make you feel like an idiot.

Sean