1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats for my '74 Jazz??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gnome01, Apr 11, 2009.

1. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Hi, so here's what I got - a '74 alder body jazz with a stripped maple fingerboard (no lacquer on it), and the only flats I've used are Chromes (45-100). LOVE the sound, but I seem to have a problem getting enough volume from the D string. I've tried everything from changing the pickup angle, string height, etc... For the time being I have an older set of DR Lo-riders on it. Not my favorites (I prefer Hi Beams for rounds), but no issues with string balance. Been thinking of trying the TI jazz flats (43-100, but oddly with a .056 D and .070 A). Any thoughts??

2. From what I've heard TI's are brighter flats, much like Chromes. My personal preference is Chromes. I've heard good things about Fender flats, and LaBella.

3. Rock-Bassman

Rock-Bassman

Dec 25, 2008
    Boston
    LaBella "Deep Talkin Flats". A little more $$ than other flats but sound the best imho.

4. gnome01

gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting my 1st set of TI flats... love the feel, and they're nice and even too. One sort of strange thing is that the D is a good bit brighter than the other strings, probably a minor defect - I guess it'll deaden out in a few weeks.