Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats for my new five...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 26, 2004.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm at a real loss. I put Fender 9050Ms on almost all my basses - I really like the thump and tone, and am addicted to their smooth, high tension feel. But, they don't make a five string set.

One guy over on the EffDeePee suggested I use a GHS B string with a 9050M set. Christle here suggested Laklands. I also thought about a LaBella Jamerson set, but they’re only available in fours.

To be honest, most of what I'm finding in five string sets doesn't appeal because I'd be giving up that .55 G. If I can find a single B string that feels about the same as my beloved 9050Ms, I would probably go that route.

What about D'Addario Chromes? How do they feel and sound compared to the Fenders? Some posts in the archives say they're slick, some say they're sticky. Some say they’re lower tension than the Fenders, some say they’re very high tension. At least with Chromes, I could buy singles to get my .55 G back which may help with the tension. Or, I could add a Chromes single B to a 9050M set, if they're compatible and balanced.

Any other suggestions on a B I could add to a 9050M set?

I haven't paid much attention to strings because I've been so happy with my 9050Ms, and I'm paying the price now...

2. I regularly use DA Chrome flats and TI Jazz Flats. I've never used the 9050M's, so I can't give a direct comparison between Chromes and the 9050's. However, I consider the Chromes to be medium tension with a very smooth feel. Well, at least they're a little higher tension and are smoother than my TI Jazz Flats. I don't know why anyone would have considered the DA Chromes to be sticky. Will a DA Chrome B string be balanced with the Fender set? I don't know for sure. You may just have to try one to find out, unless someone with first hand experience with both brands offers some input.

3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    KeiBau,
    how do the Chromes compare to the TI flats?

4. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    check juststrings.com

They have a Jamerson "1954" set with the low B. It is just called Original 1954 (no Jamerson in the name), but it is the same strings with a low B.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I didn't see these before - thanks!