Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats for Punk

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Apr 5, 2001.

1. I play oldschool punk, ramones, sex pistols and such, and I play flats. Im not going for the modern, mid range, harsh sound, i want the dee dee ramone sound, a lot of bass and deep punch. All my bassist friends think im crazy, do any of you understand

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Dee Dee is a pick player, you know. I think you can get a pretty aggressive sound from flats with a pick. Very different from the roundwound-with-a-pick sound. I rarely play with a pick now, but if I do, I like a Fender extra-heavy, or a Tortex 2.0 mm. Less twang, more meat.

3. Yeah, I play with a pick, its just easier for punk, since its all rythem and not a lot of variation. I just think its funny that people think for punk stuff you HAVE to use rounds and boost the mids and stuff

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There's a lot of stereotyping, and not just in punk style music. But the stereotypes don't always fit. For instance, Steve Harris has been using Rotosound flats for some time and plays fingerstyle, but his tone isn't exactly soft and cuddly. Joe Osborne plays with a pick and did lots of country and folk stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, Dee Dee plays almost all downstrokes (thinking of Road to Ruin, Rocket to Russia, etc.) which gives a different sound and feel. Isn't Dee Dee a Rotosound 66 guy?

If I were playing punk with flats, I think I'd boost the upper mids and highs some, too, to get some of the "cut" that's expected in punk. It'd still sound a lot different than rounds.

5. Yeah, as the fender flats are "ageing" they are getting the nice dead sound, time to boost the mids to cut through a tad bit better.