flats for slap

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basslax, May 13, 2001.

1. ive always switched my strings back and forth between rounds and flats depending on what i wanted to play. but i just use the roundwounds for everything now and just change the EQ for different sounds. does anyone else out there slap on flats?? i think it sounds pretty cool with the right EQ.
  2. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i am d'addrio Chromes on my p-bass and when i slap with my EQ setting its like, i hear a little bright and i shake my friends garage.
  3. Don't use TI Jazz Flats, they're great for other things, but not slapping. Of course, I play fretless, so anything slapped is going to sound different.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I have played slap in the past, with flatwounds, and I didn't really hear what I like. Of course, this is also probably from playing on a fretless, which doesn't really lend itself to slap. (Yes, yes, I know, Les slaps on a fretless, but he probably uses roundwounds.) With the right EQ I could get something almost kinda like a good slap tone, but it's still just not the same...
  5. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    After much experimentation, I would have to say the best slap sound comes from a set of quality flats. Maybe it's just because my ears like that sound??

I know this runs against the grain of most of what has been said about slap but I swear the flats sound better to me.

Also, slapping always sounds better to me when it's done on a 4 string bass. The low B really just does not sound right when slapped regardless of which strings are used.

Does anyone agree with me?
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Why yes, yes I do. Of course, I don't like the way the low B sounds in general, but that's a debate for another time.