1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flats for slap

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basslax, May 13, 2001.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    ive always switched my strings back and forth between rounds and flats depending on what i wanted to play. but i just use the roundwounds for everything now and just change the EQ for different sounds. does anyone else out there slap on flats?? i think it sounds pretty cool with the right EQ.

2. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i am d'addrio chromes on my p-bass and when i slap with my EQ setting its like, i hear a little bright and i shake my friends garage.

3. Don't use TI Jazz Flats, they're great for other things, but not slapping. Of course, I play fretless, so anything slapped is going to sound different.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I have played slap in the past, with flatwounds, and I didn't really hear what I like. Of course, this is also probably from playing on a fretless, which doesn't really lend itself to slap. (Yes, yes, I know, Les slaps on a fretless, but he probably uses roundwounds.) With the right EQ I could get something almost kinda like a good slap tone, but it's still just not the same...

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    After much experimentation, I would have to say the best slap sound comes from a set of quality flats. Maybe it's just because my ears like that sound??

I know this runs against the grain of most of what has been said about slap but I swear the flats sound better to me.

Also, slapping always sounds better to me when it's done on a 4 string bass. The low B really just does not sound right when slapped regardless of which strings are used.

Does anyone agree with me?

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why yes, yes I do. Of course, I don't like the way the low B sounds in general, but that's a debate for another time.