1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

flats for string through body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, May 6, 2015.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    GregT likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Labella.

3. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    what about ground wound?

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They make those too. You need to get the set made specifically for through-body instruments.

Edit: I think through-body specific strings are only necessary for flats. They're not as flexible and the break angle through the bridge holes could damage the strings.

5. According to what I've been reading around here, the GHS Precision Flats seem to work okay for thru-body. What's also nice about them is the factory sets come in "Long Plus", ie 38" winding length (ball-to-silk), which should be long enough for thru-body.

6. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    LaBella make specific sets for thru-body, they are named with a "TB" suffix after the normal model name, and you can buy them from Bassstringsonline.com. The strings have a more flexible part near the ball end, to make them less prone to breaking over the saddles. I bought the 760FM-TB set (4 string) for my 51 MIJ P-bass, very very good quality set. Highly recommended. The FM set is 49-109 IIRC, so you can get it in lower tension if you want. I'm sure BSOL will guide you if you contact them.

7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've used GHS, LaBella, Fender, Pyramid, and now TI flats on string thru bridges for decades without any negative issues.

8. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I hope the cobalt flats work

9. Mattrill

Mattrill facebook.com/dayshazy

Feb 20, 2015
    London

+1

I have strung GHS P flats through body fine. Nice strings as well

nerkoids likes this.
  10. The way I understand it is:------

To get your string scale length, you measure from the ball of the string (wherever it sits) to just past the nut.......this gives you your scale length.

In the case of a string-through-design it would be from where the ball sits...... on through to just past the nut I believe.....

11. The correct term for what you're talking about is "winding length", not "scale length".

This is correct.

12. Michael-t:-

if you go on BasstringsOnline's site there's a page there that tells you how to arrive at scale length. It says measure from wherever the ball-end of string sits (like at the back of the bridge...using the ball of the string itself as a reference point) to just past the nut.........and if this measurement falls within certain parameters , for example shortscale being 30 to 32"....then that is what strings you use......so a string-through design, for example, could be rated as a shortscale bass...but would take a longer string even though it was shorty (using a shortscale as an example....)

However if I'm wrong I gladly stand corrected.....

13. bassstringsonline.com is exactly where I learned about the difference between "scale length" and "winding length".

See here.

14. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I'm getting ready to put some TI Flats on a Fender Jazz bass. Is there any reason I shouldn't go through the body? It is an American Standard five string so it has both options available: top load or through the body. I'm glad I saw this thread.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  15. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name.. Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    I'm curious about that too...glad you asked. I know you're not supposed to stretch TI's at the 12th fret to break them in, it's supposed to damage the core.

GregT likes this.
  16. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Could be Topload = Vintage sound ; String through = Modern sound?

17. I don't get this at all. :eyebrow:

Yahboy likes this.
  18. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    i'm waiting till next week to order the cobalt flats and give those a try, thanks everyone!

19. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Me either. I string through the body because the ferrules fall out if they're not used on my bass. Soundwise, after some experimentation, couldn't tell any difference.

GregT likes this.
  20. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I thought if you played it as string through you gained clarity?