Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats... fretbuzz? Can it happen?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Figjam, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have yet to try flatwounds on a fretted. I ordered some for my Spector but they are currently out of stock and will take a while to get here. I was wondering if fretbuzz happens on a fretted with flatwounds? Obviously 'not if your action is high' etc etc, but in the same situations that rounds buzz on a fretted, would flats?

2. Yes, but it's a different kind of buzz...........as you mentioned though. Make sure you do a proper setup and you will have no problems!

Good luck and have fun with your new flats!

[​IMG]
    TReena

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds good. Thanks. I think its set up pretty well right now, relief looks good, intonation is spot on perfect basically, im sure thatll change once i put the new strings on. O joy, o rapture.

4. Generally I found it to be bassier and less clear than round fretbuzz. Kind of a lower-mids type of thing, but it definitely doesn't cut through the mix as much as it would with rounds, so it shouldn't be a problem with other instruments. Solo, it's basically a less bright and less noticeable buzz. Shouldn't be a problem.

5. Generally speaking, flats will have higher tension (TI's are a notable exception) than rounds. The string's vibrational arc will be smaller than with strings that are looser. I like this because it allows me to set the bass up with low action and avoid the buzz. As far as I'm concerned, buzz isn't a problem if you can't hear it through the amp.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks guys.. sounds good. The way my spector is set up with rounds at the moment, there is buzz only on the D string, and only around frets 5-7 or so. Assuming the neck doesnt bend too much to compensate for the new strings, it should be ok.

The new strings are a slightly lighter gauge. Normally i know how to adjust the truss rod to compensate for this, but would them being flats have any effect. Is the tension greater, therefore ill have to tightten the truss rod instead of loosen it?