Flats: I tried, really I did

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mikhail1, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Laklandfan

Laklandfan Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I love flats; them + a pick is tone that I love. I don't care for a pick with rounds, though.

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    La Bella Deep Talkin + my P bass + me = LUV! :cool: (not a paid spokesperson :ninja: )

3. jobu3

jobu3 ¿Huevos?!

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Although flats do have their place,t here is a reason they came out with roundwounds

4. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I never could get with the program either. Nice at certain times for certain things.

That said, I was at an audition for fellow TBer last Thursday and sat in the sound booth while he did his thing. He was playing a Music Man and TI's. Good googly goo. The FoH was unbelievable!

5. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, for people who like a brighter fundamental. Nothing wrong with that. I for one like a boomy thud. :cool:

6. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    +1, i use them as well (115's!) and my pick ups are passive but bright, i get plenty of high end and some serious thump from the heavy guage, i love em.

7. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars: Ulyate Pickups & StringJoy

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    +1

8. TRob1293

TRob1293

Feb 1, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Although roundwounds have there place, there is a reason they STARTED with Flats. ;)

9. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    First time I play bass, quarter century + ago...round wound strings.
    Then I tried flat wound, I didn't like them then. So back to rounds.
    About 8-10 years ago, I rediscovered my bass playing, rediscovered flat wounds (Skeptical at first). I was in 'transition era' for about 2 years.
    Now I only use flat wounds. Exclusively LaBella 760M. Never look back, not interested anymore in other brand, wound type or even gauge.

Perhaps it's not for any kind of music, I don't know, I use flats on all of my bass jobs, all kind of music I play, ranging of various style, (even tho I don't play all kind of music available to play in the world :D )

Yes It may not that nice strings to play. Those big fat metal cables LOL. But I thought, well, it's not harder than to play a Contra Bass..
    Yes perhaps I'm forced to play 'slower' and 'lesser notes', (which in a way taught me how to play much more efficient),
    But the sounds....Best. Perfect for me.
    People who hire me, people who work with me all agree (some were even volunteered in my blind listening test when the first time I start to use that flats on my bass and compared it to various other kind of strings).
    Heck, I got more jobs now with flats than when I were with rounds...but that's another story.. LOL

So..IMHO it's a very subjective matter.

10. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I am a flat player and I do not like the Chromes at all... I use Sadowsky flats and find them to be a great mid-ground between flats and rounds... That said, flats aren;t for everyone and you can at least say you gave them a shot and didn't like them.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Right...that reason is rounds didn't exist.

12. BOOM goes the dynamite. But rounds did exist right? On guitars? Or when did the guitar rounds get mainstream?

13. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011

:D

I like rounds for certain tones/attacks/songs, I like flats for others. My rounds of choice or the DR Sunbeams, and my flats of choice are the Sadowsky Black Labels, light gauge.

Why does everything have to be either/or? For/against? Win/lose? :atoz::bawl: :p

14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    I am new to flats as I have always use rounds (30+ years of playing) and I am also new to P bass as I was more of the Jazz bass type. I installed a set of TI on my P bass, couldn't stand them. Installed a set of Chrome on it, same thing. I installed a set of LaBella Deep Talking, wow I had found the tone a P should be for me anyway. I broke string this weekend on the bass and I changed them to a set of GHS Precision I had and kaboom, these were even better. :hyper:

15. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    Same with me and rounds-I tried,but I just couldn't get the same crushing low-end that I like. Plus I like the feel of flats much more.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You know, I was just looking up this info using Google, and apparently rounds did come first but nobody can come up with anything concrete. Apparently, though, Django Reinhardt used roundwound strings, so they must date back pretty early. But as far as electric bass, Rotosounds are commonly considered the first electric bass rounds, although I read that D'addario seems to be making a claim toward it as well.

17. interp

interp

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Play what you like. Nobody else cares.

Really.

18. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    It's a coloring tool. My P has flats, my booteek fretless has flats too. The other two working basses have hibeams. I can find a voice for whatever sound is in my head!

19. Mikhail1

Mikhail1

Apr 8, 2008
    Honestly I loved the way they sound with a pick but not enough to stay with them. If I had a second p bass I might stay with them but I would probably never play that one either! I think I'm going to put the Boomers on the p and see if that satisfies my inner bass. It's hard to believe in 38 years of playing bass I've never used Boomers! Oh well, the quest continues, thanks for hearing me out!

20. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    First set of flats I ever tried -- a cheap set of .105 Webstrings flats, opposite end of the spectrum from the TIs -- are still on my fretless P-bass. Surprisingly decent strings. Thud is on tap, for sure, but you can still accomplish some lyrical playing with them.

EDIT: actually thought I was responding to another thread (opened the computer from sleep and this was here), but whatevs... still applies, right?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021