Flats: I tried, really I did

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mikhail1, Mar 23, 2014.

1. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene

That Music Man/TI combo is my go-to rig man. Nothing sounds better in a band mix.

It's all in your fingers that's going to judge what strings work for you though. Different strokes (literally) for different folks.

2. The minute I tried flats that were not Chromes or Fender was the minute I began to like flats.

3. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I've used DR Lo-Riders mostly on all of my basses (J's and a Warwick) and love the tone. I just picked up a '50s RW P and did some research and decided to try the DR Legend flats. I selected the DR flats because they seemed to be middle of the road on tension between the LaBella JJs and the TIs. Put a set on and I'm loving the tone coming out of my punchy 410s.

I roll tone completely off then bring it back until I hit the sweet spot. If you're using cabs loaded with 10s (for punch), it's worth trying a few different brands, like the LaBella JJs, TIs, GHS Precision, DR Legend flats.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    My Dog Sam Eats Purple Flowers
    I started playing in the 60s. All basses had flats. Then I got my first set of rounds in the 70s. I have been using rounds ever since.

5. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

You tried Chromes, that is your problem. They have a mid-range "honk" to them that you won't find in the LaBellas or T.I's. I know many people like them, but they just don't do it for me, and I have tried many times. I have one bass left with them on, and as soon as I can afford another set of T.I.s they are gone.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021