Flats ID Help: Green Silk on Both Ends..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Groover, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I can't seem to figure out who makes these strings. The came on a 73 precision bass I bought a few years ago. I thought they were Fender flats, but those have silks only on one end.

Anyone know who makes these?

Attached Files:

2. I'd say Fender...pretty sure I've had a set of Fender flats that had the green silk on both ends.

3. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    you are testing my memory, but I also think the old style Fender flats I used in the early 70's were that shade green with silk at both ends ... the silk was very thick, and tended to "fuzz" in this manner if I remember correctly also .. it is a surprise to see so much of the 'non-silk' string on the post though, I cant explain that ...

Edit to add: ... just perusing the thought that these may have been on this bass for 35+ years ... nice!!

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Those are VERY long scale flats, and very flexible to wrap around the tunning posts like that...

How do they feel? Can you look closely at the core by the ball and see if they are hex or round?

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the replies. I'm working off pictures I have on my computer here, but it looks like they are round cores. Are Fenders Round or Hex?

The strings feel pretty good, medium tension I would say, nice and full sounding too.

Attached Files:

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Edit - too early!

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I thought those had red silks? (TI)

8. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    Those look like old Fender flats. They're probably broken in by now! Keep'em.

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Yes! Sorry I was thinking of the silks on the rounds. Too early for me I guess...

Thinking what they could be.... Srry.

10. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    my money is on Fender!!

11. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Looks like the old Fender 850 set to me, but I can't remember if they were silked at both ends or not. I think they were.

12. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the help. I'm gonna call them Fenders at this point. Is it possible these are the original strings that came on the bass when purchased new in 1973?

Did Fender put flats on their basses back then?

Thanks again.

13. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I think flats until about 1976 or thereabouts.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021