Flats never die...?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I have used and loved Thomastick SuperAlloys for years. At ~100+ gigs a year, they can last and sound great for up to 2 years.
    Recently, i've picked up more gigs (~200+ a year), one of those gigs requiring tuning down a half step, and my SuperAlloys are dying hard after 6 months.
    I assume part of that is the constant downtuning and retuning.
    My question is this: will Thomastick flats be resistant to the tuning trauma, or will i kill those dead in a short while as well?
    (Yes, i would ideally have a second bass in Eb but we're balling on a budget)
    Any ideas?

2. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    weird, it took my la bellas 18 months to break in

quickfix likes this.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    No string is going to fully tolerate the detune/retune thing. It's metal fatigue. A very light equivalent of bending a coat hanger back and forth until it breaks.

BTW, if your doing 200 gigs on two sets of strings, you're winning. I'd go through 10-12 packs of rounds in that time.

TrevorOfDoom likes this.
  4. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I would think they would last. I'm doing the same thing. One band plays std. the other down 1/2 step. I've decided to just dedicate one bass tuned down. I have TI's on the one bass and down a 1/2 they are a little loose. I'm going to use another bass with flats on it for the 1/2 step down band. Those are the labella LTF's not as loose. It messes with my set ups too much.

5. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    What can I say? I like well-worn rounds. It works for me.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I know all about not having money but is a new set of the strings you know you like every six months really that much of a financial burden? Even if you double your gigs, it's still a new set every three months.

Eikari and TrevorOfDoom like this.
  7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    #firstworldproblems :)
    I know I'm lucky, but once you get used to a certain way of things you come to expect it.
    That's all.
    I ordered new strings today, fyi.

Gorn likes this.
  8. fritjof

fritjof

Apr 26, 2008
    Denmark
    Hi there, when you write "die", do you mean "loose the snap of freshness" or more along the line of "begin to sound like they're being played trough an distorting distant digital amp"? Because I have the latter problem with the D and G strings on my P Bass, and I can't figure out wether it's the strings (I have had the same flats on for three years time, but the two other stribgs sound fine), or wether it's the pickup that causes that "farting" subtone on those two strings.

9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    About one year for me. D'Adarrio chrome flats.
    They will last years but at about a one year the D & G strings start to lose their tone and don't seem to
    hold the tuning. I like the thud tone and clarity of new flats but not the mud of ancient strings.
    Could just be my bass or my ears but $30 once a year for peace of mind is not a bad deal.

growlypants likes this.
  10. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    ...and this is a big reason why many bassists and guitarists who use alternate tunings have separate guitars in different tunings that stay in those tunings and are used accordingly.

11. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    By dead i mean the sound of slapping wet mud. Past farting. No real tone or note to speak of.

As for your problem, have you tried adjusting the pickups? Might be your D&G coil is off-kilter.

12. njones89

njones89

Mar 27, 2015
    Sioux Falls
    IMO a string isn't dead unless it affects the intonation. I only change strings for that and when I really want that new string sound. I can usually achieve the desired level of brightness with year old strings, EQ and preamp settings.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021