1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on a 5 string Active bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Aussie Player, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Would, or have any any of you put flats on an Active 5 string bass?

I usually put flats or semi-flats on passive basses and round wound on active basses but I wondered if that nice thick sound would work on an active 5?

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Most assuredly. I have used TI flats on an MTD Beast, and am currently using flats on a Douglas active sixer. I really like how they work with actives. I also tried GHS Precision flats on a (four-string) Stingray a few years back, and thought they sounded great.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    I played a fretless F-bass strung with tapewounds at NAMM last January, it sounded fantastic. Without comparing it to a roundwound strung instrument I can't tell if it's an improvement or not, but it sounded good enough to me that I'll probably string my own active fretless with flats next time I get new strings.

I'd love to hear soundclips of other people's active basses with flats, if possible. Most of my basses are active, and I've been curious about flats for a while now.

4. I use TI Jazz Flats on my Cirrrus five and love the sound and feel. Widens the range of available tones.

5. well, I have a Schecter Custom 4 (active pre) with LaBella FS760... THUNDER!

6. RedElefant

RedElefant

Feb 20, 2011
    Birmingham, AL
    just put my first set of flats on a 4 string MIA P Deluxe and they sing!

7. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I have flats on my active USA Hamer 2TEK 5-String (Duncan Basslines pups and Duncan active EQ). I don't have any soundclips, but it is full and powerful. I love TI Flats, but the Chromes I have on it now seem just perfect for it. It even sounds good acoustically with the Chromes.

8. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've TI Jazz flats on a Conklin GT-5, sound sweet at home, a little tricky in my band. But, then again, in my band, only the SX sound right.

9. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    I have a Schecter Omen active 5 string and I just switched to DR flats and they gave me the sound I was looking for. I love 'em.

The biggest adjustment for me was the increased tension on the flatwound string, but all in all I really like the way they feel and the thick fundamental tone is great.

I might go with some D'Addario Chromes next time just to try something different, but I'm not going back to roundwounds. For me flat is where it's at.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I currently have TI flats on several different active fivers, some fretted, some fretless. Color me satisfied.

11. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
  12. +1.... I got TI flats on my Sadowsky J 5. Love the tone.

13. lowgroove677

lowgroove677

Jan 8, 2011
    D'addario chromes on my ibanez SR505, the increase fundamental and active eq I get a good amount of usable tones. I play contemporary Christian worship style music, that's a pretty broad spectrum of music. From fast rock type stuff to slow ballads. I can get the tone that I feel fits very easily. I never would have thought this would be a good combo but it works great for me.

14. I have a Carvin Bolt 5 fretless I have used GHS Precision flats on in the past. The sound was wonderful. I also have used them on the fretted version of the same model I own. Great sound and tone on both.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I often put flats on my (active)Roscoe 5ers, fretted and fretless, great sound.

Usually use Chromes, fwiw.

16. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    You fellas are a great source of information and inspiration.

Bass players mentoring bass players. What a great concept.

Thank you.