Flats on a 5 string bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Frenchy-Lefty, May 18, 2016.

1. I have been using LaBella flats on my Fender 4 strings for some years now but never tried flats with a 5 string.

I have a Warmoth 5 string jazz bass on which I am temptated to put some TI flats. I have an old set of TI flats and would just order a B string to complete the set. I mostly play reggae.

- For those using flats on their fiver, what is your experience like?

- Additionally, I'd be interested in getting some feedback from those who have tried TI's on 5 string?

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  2. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    I have tested TIs on two fivers (two Sandbergs), and they worked nicely. Other good five strings (IME) are Chromes and Sadowsky. The Sadowsky has a tapered B string, though, if that matters to you. I liked it.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  3. Photobassist

Photobassist

Dec 18, 2010
    Japan
    I use LaBella Deep Talkin Flats on my 5 string fretless, and will continue to do so unless they quit making them.

4. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I've used TI Flats on all my 5 strings and they have been great.

Ibanez SR5005 Prestige
    Bachuss Woodline
    Benavente SCB

Some of the best strings and tone I've ever had with these basses.

5. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Chromes on my xotic xp-5. Sounds great.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I've used TI, Chromes and GHS with great success.

7. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    Yup, they work great.

8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I had Chromes on my Precision 5 for several years and they sounded FANTASTIC on that bass and I also loved the relatively stiff feel. I then went to rounds for a while but about a month ago I went back to flats and put a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats on it. I haven't used the P with my band yet and the strings are nowhere near being broken in but, so far, I'm liking them a lot. They're very deep sounding and I'm finding them a lot more articulate sounding and not as sustainlessly thuddy as I expected them to be based on what I've read here on TB (again, I'll see what I think when I finally get to play them with the band). However, when I bought this bass the previous owner had TI Jazz Flats on it and I didn't like their feel. They were just too loose for me. But I didn't think they sounded bad and, in fact, I remember kind of liking how they sounded on it.

I also recently bought an L-2500 and the previous owner had TI Jazz Flats on that one as well. Once again, I just didn't like how they felt but, unlike my memory of how they sounded on my Precision, I really didn't like how they sounded on this bass at all. After giving it a couple of weeks, I put a set of rounds on it.

TL;DR - I kind of liked how the TI's sounded on my P but did not like how they sounded on my L-2500. In both cases, I hated their loose feel. So far I have only limited experience with the LaBella's on my P but I really like their feel and, although I've only had them for a month or so and haven't played the P in a band situation yet, I'm liking them. Finally, I simply LOVED how the Chromes sounded and felt on my P.

9. LaBella Deep Talkin are definitely my fav but since I already have a set of 4 string TI's, I just need to get a B string from BSO. Also thay way, If I decide to get back to rounds I would not have broken the bank for nothing.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  10. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Chromes on my Portamento 5, GHS flats on my SUB Ray 5 and Ibanez SRX705. The Portamento came shipped with Chromes installed, and they are perfect tonally for the electronics on that instrument. The GHS flats help tame the highs from both the Ibby and the SUB while adding an extra dimension of lows. Nice clear fundamental pitch with punchiness. Loud, but refined and smooth. Rounds sound thin and clanky by comparison, which is why the flats will stay on.

Also, setup and action with flats is stupid low...the SUB's strings look as if they're laying right on the frets, yet there's no buzz. Effortless playing.

11. Algo

Algo

Dec 3, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    EB Custom Gauge on my SR 505, it's fantastic.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021