Flats on a DarkStar Glaub

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeYello, Mar 10, 2006.

1. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I currently have TI flats on a Dark Star equipped Skyline Glaub. In trying to describe the sound I would say it has plenty of over-tones, not a real pure P-Bass tone. Is this a function of the Darkstars or of the TI flats? If I put a set of Rotosounds on this bass with the Darkstar's will it give me a more traditional typoe P-Bass tone? I don't have experience with TI flats or Darkstars so I can't really tell what's going on here. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe
  2. IME, TI flats have a fairly strong tonal character that carries over from bass to bass. Moreso than any rounds I've used. I don't have much experience with the DS's. You could always try the rounds to see if you like them.
  3. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    um...if you want more of a p-bass tone, using a p-style pickup would seem to me the logical place to start. the darkstars, from what I've heard of them, do give you a more complex color and more overtones.
    Isn't the Glaub a P-bass to begin with? Why did you get it modded for darkstars if you wanted a P-bass tone?
  4. send me the darkstar glaub and ill send you my "pbass" glaub.

5. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I have a USA Glaub with the standard Fralin and it is my favorite P-Bass. I got this one to try out the Darkstar as it came with this pickup. I think I am going to put a set Lakland roundwound strings (same as the USA) on the Skyline so that I can hear how the Darkstar compares to the Fralin. As most of you know the tension is very low on the TI's and this may have something to do with it.
  6. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    ehh, I heard that those Darkstars aren't worth the metal they're made with. Trust me, You don't want it.

Send it to me, I'll take it off of your hands.
  7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'm not sure of your particular situation, but I will say that the TI flats are the brightest flats I've ever tried, by a longshot. That might have something to do with it.

Changing the strings is the cheapest experiment to try.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I would imgaine you would get some really strong and defined old school vintage tones going with a set up like that. TI are great strings , a littel exspensive but they got alot of life.
  9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    TIs are bright for the first few weeks, but once they mellow, they aren't any more bright than any other flat. Now--they have a much more defined mid, and less thud than some flats, but they aren't really bright.

As for the original poster, I wish I could help. I just got a Glaub, and I got a bass with Dark Stars and TI Flats--they just aren't the same bass. :D

Think of it this way. The Dark Star is still in pretty much the same area as the normal PBass pickup, so it hits the same harmonic nodes. It just interprets it a bit differently.

My suggestion is to put a set of strings on there that you are familiar with. See if that is closer to what you are looking for tonally.
  10. BartmanPDX

True, but he may have just put on a new set of the TI flats. When I first put them on my fretless, they sounded almost like rounds they were so bright, especially the E string. They have mellowed considerably since then, but I was initially quite surprised at the brightness they had, given that they were flats.
  11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

That's kinda what I was trying to say. I just don't want him to think he dislikes TIs based on what he's hearing right now. TIs after a month are different than TIs after a couple of days.

Here's a test recording of my new Dearmond Starfire with Dark Stars and TI Flats. Of course, it's going through the SVT model on my VBass, so I doubt it'll help, but I like the tone. :D

12. BartmanPDX

I hear ya. You're from Duluth, huh? I grew up in Athens. Lotsa good music in them parts. :)
  13. Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    So whats a Darkstar? I know there a skateboard company.
  14. BartmanPDX

Dark Stars
    are pickups with a vintage sound. LOTS of '60s mojo, from what I've heard.
  15. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I went to college in Athens. What I remember I throughly enjoyed. Of course, probably not as much as the stuff I don't remember... :hyper:

Click and ye shall see
  16. JoeYello

Sep 18, 2002
    New Jersey
    I think I have figured out why I wasn't really loving the tone of this bass.........I only have this bass for a little over a week and although I have played it a few times I haven't really "gone over" it. This weekend I noticed that the relief on the neck was almost non-existant so I loosened the truss rod and gave it some relief. The tone seemed to jump out at that point. My belief is that the TI flats are so loose that they did not have enough room to oscillate properly and may have been what I would call "choking out" on the frets and not ringing true. I raised the action a bit and it is all good now. The tone is much clearer and even. Laklands are killer basses! :cool:
  17. Fred Hammon

Fred Hammon Dark Star pickups

May 13, 2005
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member