1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on a fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by red7flag, Feb 11, 2020.

1. red7flag

red7flag

Oct 25, 2017
    Dickson, TN
    I am new to flats. Just put my first pair on my G&L LB-190 and love the deep rich rice. Have been considering a Tony Franklin fretless. How would flats sound on the TFB? In addition to tone, I would think Flats would be easier on the fretboard.

TN WOODMAN and teh-slb like this.
  2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Flats on a fretless are like peanut butter and jelly! Give it a try.

vanderbe, SJan3, mrcbass and 21 others like this.
  3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Interestingly enough, I'm not a big fan of flats on my fretlesses. Tried quite a few. Miss the sustain and definition I get with rounds.

I had, up until a few months ago, a fretted Jazz bass. LOVE the sound of flats on that. Considering getting another fretted bass just to run some of those Fender 9050s on.

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Flats on my fretless Precisions! FB_IMG_1575296919177.jpg

Inky13, stubborne, BEADG63 and 23 others like this.
  5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    My fretless experiences have been really hit or miss. I loved a set of Labella classic black tapewounds on a Carvin AC40 bass i had. I used the same set on a Yamaha cheapy fretless and they sounded great.
    For a while i had a Mexican J bass with half rounds,and just thought the metallic sound and the fretless sound didn’t mesh. (I don’t know how Jaco did it!)
    I currently have a defretted Rickenbacker Cheyenne ii that has a set of Chromes on it. I like the sound very much, but not the feel. (It might be the setup,too,there’s not much sustain on the upper strings). I had previously tried a set of the black labella tapes on it,and the E string sounded pretty clacky and unmusical to me. Overall,i prefer flats and tapes to rw strings on most of my basses,and especially on fretless ones.
    My next string change for that bass is likely going to be a set of Labella low tension flexible flats.

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Flats on a fretless?
    It'll never catch on...
    how-to-change-strings-on-a-double-bass%3A.jpg

7. I don’t like flats, especially on fretless since I’d be doing a lot more sliding than on fretted. I feel that all the extra friction between my fingers and much more surface area of a flat-wound string holds me back....not that I’m a virtuoso or anything, I just would like less holding me back than my own talent (or lack thereof).

8. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    What flatwounds are you using?
    Most of the flatwound sets i’ve used are super slick feeling, certainly less friction than rw’s.

9. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    The only flatwounds I have ever used, or suspect I ever will, I have used on my fretless. But I play fretted instruments with roundwounds 99% of the time.

Giffro likes this.
  10. I tried a set of D’Addario’s I think, a loooong time ago and took them off the same day. Then I bought a fretless that came with flats. Took those off the same day, too.

AlexanderB and Giffro like this.
  11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Flats on fretless?
    Freebo on the early Bonnie Raitt records (pre '77 or so) is my halllmark for flats/fretless. There's an astoundingly beautiful performance of "Love Has No Pride" by the two of them on YouTube.

Rick Danko used flats on his freless basses (the Ampeg, a Precision, and a Gibson Ripper).

I believe Bill Wyman's fretless wore flats.

12. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
  13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes!

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Try Cobalt Flats if you want to still have a bright tone. I think half rounds strings are also great and much less prone to causing fretboard wear than rounds.

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

me: only fretless, only rounds, only happy.

OP, you have to do what you think best, but: fretless + rounds = fingerboard tragedy is overplayed here. it takes a long time to wear out a fingerboard...some TB folks are wearing out metal frets way sooner!

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    True, and this goes triple if your fingerboard is ebony.

ChrisBowsman, tindrum, Giffro and 2 others like this.
  17. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    They go together like bread and butter, your gonna love em. Try La Bella Tape Wounds, great mid range and string feel.

18. JRA

agreed.

i just removed a 30 y.o. maple/ebony neck from a J: it has wicked string marks after 3 decades but it is not quite ready for a re-do --- it still plays without issues!

JEDI BASS and ChrisBowsman like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You could probably sand it down yourself.

ChrisBowsman and JRA like this.
  20. JRA

i will be doing the work! it's probably my best neck (feel)!

ChrisBowsman and Dr. Cheese like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021