flats on a jazz anybody?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by okieblues, Apr 8, 2003.

1. okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    i have a '00 fender american jazz that i'm contemplating putting flatwounds on.any body out out there using flats on a jazz that can give me some input on string selection and tone.i play blues and 60's soul so i need that old school "thump"
  2. I got some Fender 9050 ML's on my Jazz. Great thump and tone for around $20 bucks. I hope to try those Labella's here soon.
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. While they are a little pricey they sound great. Very thumpy and they feel great.

For the best prices checkout Steve Barr @ the Dude Pit . He has the best prices around and is a great guy to boot.
  4. okieblues

Mar 29, 2003
    ada, oklahoma
    thank you fellow tb'ers.....i may try the Labella's..ive heard several good comments about them......guitar center here i come....thump thump
  5. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Awwww yeah! Jazz with flats baby! I use Thomastiks. They're pretty sweet. Actually, they can still be bright if you want them to be. And the harmonics aren't bad either. Plus flats will last you forever, especially if you're looking for that thump sound. You'll never change strings again!

p.s. Stick a piece of foam, cut to fit, between the body and strings near the bridge to get that Jamerson sound, just incase you didn't know.
  6. I've got Thomastik Jazz Flats on my J bass, and they are the best strings I've ever played in 20+ years of playing. Combined with Seymour Duncan Antiquities and a J-retro, I'm in hog heaven. BTW, I play blues, soul, country, rock, jazz, Irish and Latin-american.
  7. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I've heard great things about Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats.
  8. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'll throw in another vote for Labella Deep talkin' flats. I use the really heavy set and they just sound great. you'll get yourself in a good wrasslin' match with those puppies.