Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats on a MIM J

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Is it just me... or do flats compensate for the poplar body's bright tone, giving a more solid boomy sound????

I could not get flats recently so I returned to roundwounds for the time being and NOW I notice the difference! The rw's strings sound too bright and wiry on the poplar bodied MIM so I had to tweak the amp equalizer.

I was SO satisfied with the flatwounds and their thumpy classic sound, and the MIM Jazz sounded great with them on. And apparently the flats covered up the typical somewhat-too-bright poplar tone.

Could it be just me????

2. Jman

Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Waterport,NY
    Sound is in the ear of the beholder.Personally I use Pyramid flats on 2 of my bass's for that sound.Not because of the wood but the sound I'm looking for.
    I play alot of 60's-70's and prefer the tone I get from these strings.On 2 other bass's I use round wound nickel's for a different sound.

3. I had wanted to play a Jazz with flats for a while, thanks to a recommendation from Peter McFerrin...

I played a MIM Jazz with flats for the first time today, and was very impressed. I still hate 5/8'' bridge string spacing, so I tried it with a pick, and fell in love with the tone AND playability. In the far future, i am considering a medium-to-thin necked 6-string to be played with a pick and flatwounds.

4. For a moment I was thinking to myself, "What are these guys talking about, all MIM Jazzes come with flats," then I remembered you guys are talking about fretted basses. My MIM Jazz is fretless and came with flats. I love every aspect of the bass and its sound except for that annoying single coil hum. The Fender flats that came on it were good, but, if you want to go berzerk, try a set of Rotosound 77s. They're flats, but, with a nice open decay to them. I think you'd like them.

Mike J.