1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on a StingRay?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sufenta, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Just fishing around for a new sound. Before I break out a new set of TI Flats, has anyone, or does anyone use(d) flats on their StingRay. My 2005 LE has a pretty bright, snappy, stringy tone and I wonder if some flats would quiet it down without ruining the SR growl/punch.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, jmb7183 did for quite a while. It sounded good. I heard him play live with a band, and I liked it.

3. with all the tonal options available on a SR, im sure you can find some good tones.

why the want to switch? what were you using before?

4. I posted a very similiar thread a few weeks ago but, it was Spector for me. My Spector was quite bright and very edgy, and I wanted to warm up the tone a bit, she sounded very cold. I put on a set of Chrome Flats and it worked wonders. The Spector is much smoother now with alot more body but I noticed it still cuts through the mix quite well. There is a very good medium in there. Im happy with the change to flats.

5. Radiobass

Radiobass

Jan 10, 2005
    They're great. If I wasn't in a rock band that needed a brighter tone, I would have kept them on. Lots of low-end, beautiful tone.

"Another One Bites The Dust" was recorded on a 'Ray with flats. Not that good of a tone there, but you know.

6. Everything sounds better with flats. I could have saved myself years of frustration & thousands of dollars if I had figured that out earlier.

7. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Flats are good but they're not for me, try them and let us know your opinion.

8. I don't have a ray, but an Ibanez ATK which is similar. My fretless ATK has flats on it and sounds great (Fender 9050's, which I bought because they were cheap :) ). Give it a try.
    Steve

9. merdenoms2590

merdenoms2590

Apr 30, 2005
    Can anyone post soundclips of what that would sound like?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ooey, gooey, goodness. That's all I can say about a Ray with flats.

11. Love my SR5 with TI Jazz Flats. It's a perfect combination.

Aloha,

Jonathan

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    *All* my basses run flats, including my SR5, Sterling and Bongo H. Hell, I even ran flats on my old Warwick FNA!

Flats make a bass sound like a bass.

13. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

Well my OLP MM2 with a basslines MM pup had flats on it when I bought and it sounded nice, i switched back and forth with DR's just for comparison but I only have 1 bass so i kept
    the DR

14. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I have Chromes on my Ibanez BTB555 and they sound amazing! Your preamp should allow you to add treble that the flats take out. They just won't be that great for slapping.

15. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    My Sting ray is zingey but I like it that way. However I have an 83 P-Bass elite with active that no matter what roundwound I put on it just sounded to shrill(Ive owned 3 elites and never had this problem before). I threw a set of DAdarrio Chrome Flts on that thing and now it sounds great!
    Lets just say it's worth a try.

16. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Maybe you want to try DD Halfs.

17. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got TI Flats on my fretless Stingray. It sounds wonderful!

18. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Stringray + Flats = Crazy Delicious

19. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    'Course, I have flats on simply everything, but I just finished a two hour session on a 30th Anniversary Stingray strung with TI Flats.

There has maybe never been a better sound than that combination, and I have some really GOOD combinations.

Run, don't walk.

Put flats on your Stingray and call me in the morning.

Jack

20. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had TI flats on my SR5 and loved it.