1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on a Warwick?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by txpitdog, Apr 2, 2006.

1. txpitdog

txpitdog

Jan 1, 2006
    Anybody use flatwounds on their Warwick? I am curious whether there would still be any of the characteristic growl with strings like Chromes.

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I happen to have Chromes on my Warwick Corvette STD 4 string (bubinga model) at the moment. It's a nice feel - I don't like the feel of it with a pick, it's alright sounding to slap but a little difficult due to the high tension of flatwounds, and when I play agressively they have a nice snap to them, but not as nice as with roundwounds.

They're a lot thumpier though... Great P-bass sound with the tone rolled down, really thumpy and Motown-stylee. I took these strings off my fretless just to see what a deader sound would be like in my ska band, and after a month of using them I think they'd be great for funk or pop, but not my thing for punk and ska.

To answer your question - Yes and no. The growl is definitely there, but with less snarl. Depends on what sort of tone you're looking for. Infact, now that you've mentioned this I'm about to put some rounds back on my 'Wick.

The simple answer to your problem: Go for it, if you don't like it it's an easy fix, just put your rounds back on and leave the flats for a rainy day.

3. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Yeh, Pino Palladino did it with his Thumb.

4. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I did it with my thumb, the labella jamerson set. The tone was much punchier and bassier with a clearer midrange and a characteristic flatwound sound. The treble was obviously less zingy but they were ok for slapping, just not the same. I actually dug the tone the most for rock and I didn't want to change the strings because they ahd so much force and punch to allow me to cut through with great tone. Eventually I got tired of the strings hampering my basses playability and versatility with their high tension and heavy gauge. I'd do it again if the warwick wasn't my go to bass.