Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flats on an acoustic/electric?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jimclark68, Mar 15, 2001.

1. jimclark68

jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    Just bought a Fender BG-32 acoustic this week. THis is my first acoustic after playing electric for the past 15 years or so. The stock strings suk and I'm interested in trying some flatwounds on it. I've searched numerous threads about flats, acoustic strings, string tension, etc., and it's a lot of info to digest. I will be using it primarily for playing traditional folk music. I wouldn't mind bigger strings with higher tension, but I'm not sure how much I can push an acoustic. Plus, it's a short-scale bass, so I realize I'm limited in terms of choices anyway. Has anyone out there tried flats on an acoustic?

2. I use D'Addario Chromes on my Godin A4 fretless (which is also what the come stocked with).

I think they work really well. They will certainly help to give you a warm, woody tone that should suit an acoustic bass really well.

I think the D'Addarios come in short scale lengths. If not I know GHS flats and some other brands do.

3. I've got Rotosound RS77 Jazz flatwounds on my defretted Hohner TWP600B, 35-55-75-95 gauge.
    a nice mix of upright style thump and fretless mwah.
    *blatant plug#2* you can hear it in the middle bit of the first track "Antithesis" on my MP3.com page:D-
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/227/the_mock_turtle_regulator.html
    the action is medium high, and flatwounds generally have stiffer tension than rounds, so the light gauge doesn't feel slack.
    they do short scale sets too.