1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on an AGB

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by lazyone2, Sep 6, 2008.

1. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I have just bought a Michael Kelly Club Deluxe 5 string Acoustic Bass Guitar. I have been playing electic bass for 35yrs with flats. TI Jazz Flats are my strings of choice. I hate the sqeaky noisey round wound strings my new bass came with. Will flats work , if flats are ok, what strings would you recomend.

THanks,
    PAT

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I'm eager to read the responses to this thread as well. I have a Takamine 4-string ABG that I play only occasionally, largely because I don't like the sound of the phosphor bronze strings.

3. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    I started a thread on this a few months back, and I'll recap it here by saying I put a set of Thomastik Jazz flats on my Ovation CC074 ABG and it was the best thing I ever did. Serious thunder, great feel, less tension, the whole enchilada. I would heartily recommend it to anyone. It totally transformed the bass!

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks! Do you typically play yours unplugged, or amplified?

5. I put a set of .40-.95 light GHS Precision bass strings on my Carvin AC40F a few months back. I'll never use phospher bronze strings on it again.:hyper:

Doug

6. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    does it lower the volume noticeably?

7. I have Chromes on my Fender BG-31 and to answer your question it does. But it's worth it!! :hyper:

8. I think the TI Jazz Flats would be the best choice for an Acoustic bass, since they're the lowest tension flats out there (high-tension generally isn't healthy for acoustic basses).

9. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    +1 Lokire. I didn't notice much volume loss, and it's both my "porch bass" and I gig it too. Sounds great either way, and your bass will thank you for the low tension 20 years from now when the neck set is still straight!