1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats on Carvin XB75

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kaiser_sosea, Aug 30, 2007.

1. I've been using Carvin (LaBella) & Ernie Ball steel rounds on my bass for quite some time and am interested in trying out flats. Was looking to get a set of carvin.com apparently made by LaBella. My question is how will flats perform on my extra long scale (35 1/4 in i think) including the low b? Also i know i shouldnt string thru body flats but will the tension be ok thru the bridge? I've had flats b4 but it was a couple of years ago i broke my G string practicing an hour b4 a gig so a friend gave me a set of Fender flats, i changed all strings except for low b as it was a 4 string set and played the show. after some time the high tension fenders which i dont think were meant for x-long scale wouldnt stay in tune and bowed the neck, had so send in to get asjusted and set up. I'm looking to avoid that happening. TIA for the responses and if anyone has experience specifically w/ long basses and flats please let my know your opinions...

if it helps i play alot of funk/blues and classic/progressive rock. for gear > Carvin XB75 > Ashdown Envelope Filter > Bassman 100 silverface (for now) > Avatar B212Neo

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well sir, my Carvin is a bit shorter than yours, but I do have a bit of experience on a Fender. Seem that when you string through the body on a Fender the tuning peg for the G string is about 2" too far away from the bridge to let you get more than one turn on the peg with regular length strings. I have GHS Brite Flats (Half Rounds) on my P and they are plenty long enough. From what I can figure from the packaging ALL of the GHS half rounds and flats are "Extra Long Scale". Check em out. They aren't real expensive.

3. thanks for the info, where's a good place to get strings on the cheap, as i am cheap?

4. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Look into Sadowsky SBF45BXL. They fit well on my 35" Lakland. The B string is tapered. I strung mine thru the body. Why not?

Always have, always do, when that is an option...

5. i read on a string website that LaBella does not recommend stringing flats thru the body, didnt give an explanation as to why? maybe some other tbr's have the answer???
    good place to get strings?

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Why not get the Carvin/Labellas? Available in 5- and 6-string sets there, and the price is great.

7. well thats what i intend but my original question being is it ok to string thru flats? and does it matter that my bass is 35 1/4 in scale?