1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on Jazz or Precision?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jk3, Feb 29, 2008.

1. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    i have both a Jazz and a P.

i use both flats and rounds.

currently the jazz has chromes and the P has warwick yellow labels (which arent bad, btw)

just wanted to see what people prefer, if youre like me, and see the beauty in both string types -

which string for which bass and why?

2. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I prefer flats (TI's) for the sound, feel and playability. But I will always have a roundwound strung bass around as well. Just a different sound to have.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    It's weird. I thought wanted rounds on my J and flats on my P, but my ears have told me the oppositie.

I have a 61J that I played for years with rounds. As the frets got so worn down that the rounds were starting to dig into the rosewood, I thought I would throw some TI flats on. Wow. Soul mates. Match made in heaven. Favortie Cliche. Nice presence and cut (better than many rounds) with a rich punchy tone. Not the most bottom heavy but growl very nice with the bridge pup. Sounds fantastic in mellow stuff and yet has a great sort of overdrive digging in on heavier stuff.

On my 50's P, I have tried TI flats and Labella FLs. But I keep coming back to nickel rounds. Even tried steel rounds and did not like those either. To my ears the maple board on that bass along with the 10.5 k-ohm stock P pickup just seem to get a really great sound with nickel rounds (Fenders, DAs, Boomers with Fenders being my fave). I also love slapping the P and sometimes it even slaps back. I guess I need a maple board J to add to the stable.

4. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I prefer the sound of chromes on a P. They seem to bring out more of that characteristic growl than roundwounds or steels do.

On a Jazz I find they loose a lot of their depth.