1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flats on P > replacing TI's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by marco1977, Apr 15, 2009.

1. marco1977

marco1977

Sep 11, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I'm currently playing my Pbass a lot :) and while i like some of the things of my TI flat (tension, solo sound), I'm looking for strings with a litte more oompf and low end, especially in a band setting.

I play mostly old funk and soul, and nusoul...

I'm very interested which strings to try next...

(I did do a search, but there are many threads regarding TI's non secific or flats non specific, feel free to point me to another thread)

Thanks!

2. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    You might give some Chromes a try. Once they break in (and lose the initial brightness), they sound great in the mix - good cut, but nice and warm with plenty of the aforementioned 'oompf'. :)

Their tension is a little higher than TI's (which flats aren't, though?), but not unreasonably so.

I had a well worn in set on a Squier VM Jazz of mine and was able to cop a pretty good Pino (think D'Angelo's "Voodoo") or Saadiq (think "Instant Vintage") vibe. Doesn't get any more nusoul than that! :cool:

3. marco1977

marco1977

Sep 11, 2007
    mmm, Sounds exactly what i'm looking for. I don't worry about the tension that much, it's more the sound i'm looking for. I definitely not looking for rounds anyway!

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    LaBella tapes give more of a roundwound tone will the flat feel. you can get them at carvin.com for <$20/4 string set

5. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    LaBella Deep talkin' bass flats might just be what you're looking for.

6. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I use LaBella Deep Talkin' flats. I've had Chromes and TIs, but really, in terms of fatness, the LaBellas added so much more meat. Especially with a .109 E!

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I didn't like the TI's (tension was too low for me- made switching between my roundwound strung basses to the TI bass just too weird for me), and while they sound great, it's not really a traditional flatwound sound. I fouind my flats in the Lakland Joe Osborn set. The tension is about the same as the DR Hi-Beams and Sunbeams I use mostly, they have a definite note to them, but still have the traditional thump I expect from flats.

Very similar to, if not the same as, GHS Precision Flatwounds.

jte

8. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    so JTE how much lower is the tension of the TIs compared to your roundwound basses or sunbeams?

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I don't know. I never measured anything. But the way they felt under my right (plucking) had especially took a lot of adaptation from the rounds I normally use. I just couldn't dig in enough for me.

But I can't put any numbers to it.

jte

10. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I recently put together a Warmoth/Allparts/Fender fretless P-bass with Fralin 5% over pups. Since I had LaBella Deep Talkin flats on my Lakland Glaub I thought I would use TI Jazz flats on my new build. I also have the TI's on my fretless Corvette and I love them. But I hated the TI's on the P-bass. They sounded almost distorted. This afternoon I put Deep Talkin flats on it and they sound really righteous. I could describe it to you but it would not mean a thing since you are reading this and not hearing it.

11. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    ohh ok its cuz i have sum fender ML flats on right now and the tension is pretty high so i was planning on investing on the TIs.. i tend to pluck pretty hard also hopefully the tension will be perfect in my eyes

12. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    hi, when you said distorted in what way? like so low tension they were hitting the fretboard that the sound sounded distorted?

13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

No, the strings were vibrating clear. They had an over drive type of sound like I was using an effects pedal of some sort. If I used effects I could describe this better to you but I don't so I can't. I lowered the pups. Still sounded strange. All I can tell you is that I thought it was the pickups until I changed the strings to LaBellas Deep Talkin and the fullness and tone I was looking for was there.

edit: But let me reiterate that I have TI Jazz flats on my Warwick Corvette fretless 5 and they sound fantastic. So go figure.

14. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
  15. Aurel

Aurel

Dec 11, 2008
    Paris, France
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Basses & Framus guitars, Pigtronix, Aguilar Amps, Orange Amps,
    The main difference between TIs and LaBellas is very simple: the materials they are made of, which explains the differences in sound and feel.

TI's are NICKEL flats, while LaBellas are STAINLESS STEEL flats. This is the reason why some think that TIs have a "rockier" sound with more midrange, and also why the LaBellas have a deeper, mellower sound, with more "thump".

Hope that helps....

16. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Go for LaBella 760L or Sadowsky regular gauge flats.

These will give you genuine vintage thump with enough definition and "normal" tension.

Chromes are softer and clankier, Fenders ML are thumpier but also much stiffer.

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    WOW! I thought i was just me. I have my classic 50 P bass strung with TI JF. I could sware at times i too heard overtones or as you said an overdrive like effect. I asked others and they said they didnt hear it. My band is cutting a new CD and i did one song of 8 with this bass. I can hear on the low notes that bit of overdrive. Nobody thinks its much but its there. Its almost like the string bends out of tune a hair? Anyone else know of this ....TI users? This is funny you posted this i agree with you.

18. marco1977

marco1977

Sep 11, 2007
    Thanks everybody. Interesting to see that other people have the same opinion on TI's as well. Those Labella's sound more of what I'm looking for. Still haven't ordered them though, so keep your opinions coming...

19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    To me one of the great features of TIs is the slight overdrive you get when you dig in. They definitely have a unique response to being played heavy handed.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I found TIs way to floppy -- especially the super light A string. I like La Bellas much better.