1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats on the SB 2

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Youngspanion, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    Just wondering. Any opinions?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I use SIT Power Flats (which are actually a groundwound) on an SB-2 and like them quite a bit. One I received many moons ago had TI Jazz Flats on it which sounded very good (as long as you didn't try to slap) but the low tension bugged me.

Right now I've got 2 SB-2s - a Trib with groundwounds and a US one with compression wounds (my answer for having one with flats and one with rounds) and like them both and use them for the different flavors I get from them.

3. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have Deep Talking Flats on my SB2. Great for old skool thump. But I am replacing them with half rounds since my new band is more modern/classic rock and calls for a brighter sound. They do have great sustain for a flat tho.

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Use Fender 9050L's (.045 - .095) on my SB-2 & love them.

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Just put on Half Rounds. They are rough compared to the flats. Gotta break em in before I can review them.

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Here's another vote for LaBella... I liked the Fenders as well but the Deep Talkers have even more character and surprising sustain.

7. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Labella Flats and a pro set-up turned my SB-2 into "the one". It has the sound and feel that I've always wanted. :bassist:

8. kallad

kallad

Oct 1, 2008
    Michigan
    I have Fender 9050ML's on mine and they sound good. I'm going to try some GHS stainless steel flats soon. One of the people at Elderly Instruments mentioned their bass instructor loves them so I thought I'd give them a try.

9. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I've tried the Fender flats on my Fender P-bass when I owned one and I remember digging them. A lot. I may try 'em on this one or I may end up with D'Addario Chromes.

10. Roto 110 flats sound bigger than life on a SB-2.