Flats or Halfs/Grounds for a PJ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cm3ohana, May 2, 2012.

1. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    I've been searching for the best "middle ground" string for a PJ bass. I have Chromes on my P-bass and Sunbeams on my fretted and fretless Jazz basses so wanted something a little different that might handle the middle ground on the PJ.

After a lot of searching on TB, I thought I would try three strings that wouldn't break the bank:
    - D'Addario Half Rounds
    - GHS Brite Flats
    - GHS Pressurewounds

Each of these have received enough praise on TB to warrant a try. I didn't make any recordings but let me hears be the judge. Of course, your taste may vary but between the three, I found the Half Rounds to be my favorite.

Comparatively, the GHS Brite Flats definitely had the flats sound being more thumpy/thuddy compared to the halfs and PW's. I liked the sound of the Brite Flats but I have a similar sound already with the Chromes on my P-bass. The PW's were clangy with more of a round-wound sound compared to the halfs which isn't exactly the sound I was looking for. So, as you may have guessed, the halfs win it for me. I'm not a fan of the stickiness but hope that will go away in time. It's also possible that the halfs may deaden with time more toward the flats sound. At that point, maybe I'll throw on new ones or do another test of different sets. All in all, I'm happy with the "middle of the road" sound I'm getting from the halfs and feel it's a good sound that will be versatile for the PJ.

Please feel free to state your thoughts about your experiences with strings for a PJ.

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Having tried all 3, and typically preferring flats, I'd recommend GHS Pressure wound strings... A little bright at first, but they settle after a while... Last longer than RWs too.

You could cut the break-in time down by wiping olive oil on the left hand surface! :eyebrow:

Having been in the car repair biz, I had access to, and tried various substances to hasten break-in...I've used machine oil, WD40, and Prolong (which is similar to WD40 but smells marginally better). I don't recommend any of them!

3. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    D'addario produces several gauges of half rounds. Just over a year ago I tried a super light set (.040 to .095). To my opinion they were defitely too light. If I'd buy half rounds again, I'd go for the ENR72, which ranges from .050 to .105.

4. Although you didn't list these. Ken Smith makes a nice half round string.

5. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    GHS makes them :p

6. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
  7. Picktastic

Picktastic

Feb 29, 2012
    bbq sauce!

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    Yum! Eat your strings after the gig! :D I prefer Worchester sauce.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021