Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats or Rounds for old school punk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by basmeisje, Nov 11, 2004.

1. basmeisje

basmeisje

Jun 7, 2004
    Hi all,

I was wondering what you would use for an old school punk sound on a '74 Precission bass.
    Think Jam, Dead Kenedy's, UK subs, Ramones etcetera.
    Right now I've got DR lo riders on it, I like the Hi beams aswell (got them on my jazz), for flats I have used D'addario. I think flats have more boom (low) but with the tone a little roled back on the bass the bass the rounds sound good aswell and they seem to have more cutting thrue power end more sparkle.

Yvette

2. Any dead string.

Actually, try some nickle round wounds. I like Thomastik Infeld Jazz Bass Rounds

If you want to try flats, try GHS brite flats.

You should get good tone either way with that bass. The DK bass sounds like crap, as does the sound quality of many old school recordings. I think Sid Viscious played an old P. So did the guy from the clash.

The svt sound also is heard on vintage hardcore. No bullet horn tweeters need apply.

3. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Actually, speaking of the Jam exclusicely, it's all about Marshall overdrive on the bass and set of Rotosounds played with a pick. I can't think of any punk bassists who used flats. An agressive bass tone was part of the sound. Paul Simonen got some great dub bass tones later, but I believe it was all a P Bass with rotosounds as well. Try getting some drive going on your amp (an all tube head would be most helpful) and play really hard.

And the recording may have been a bit primitive (usually a major plus in rock & roll as far as I'm concerened), the bass playing in the Dead Kennedys was great during the Kira Roessler years. She did some great bass duet recording with Mike Watt as Dos. That stuff is well worth seeking.

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    i believe the guy from the clash played a rickenbacker. well at least i saw him playing one in a picture. don't know if he changed at all.

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Paul Simonen used P Basses almost exclusively. He may have used a Ric early on or in a photo session, but that's not the bass sound that is promainant throughout their recording career. By the way, I would suggest that any bass player interested in melodic hooky bass lines could benefit from a listen to London Calling, Sandanista and parts of Combat Rock. For a guy who picked up the bass just because it looked cool, he really came into his own as a player in a very short time (albeit a time span devoted almost completely to gigging and recording 24/7).