1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

flats questions???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Onalargerock, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I want to change my fender MM jazz to them and I currently use the fender 7250mL.
    Reason for this rounds chewing up frets l play lots of slides etc. plus lots of practice hours.
    I play all styles of music but mainly 70's rock.
    Questions???
    1.What flats are around the same tension?
    2.Now do I have to change the intonation because of a different string type?
    3.Also do these strings have the black silky material on the top
    that go around the tunning post?

2. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    try a inexpensive set from webstrings.
    I use flats on my Pbass copy and I like the sound. The only thing I miss are the sustain.

3. p-bass

p-bass Guest

Feb 17, 2008
    Check out the D'addario Chromes,the 45-100 set. The Chromes are a very versitile set of flatwounds. You really should check your intonation even when changing strings that are the same brand so yes,you will need to set your intonation. The Chromes have a blue silk that rap around the tuning post. Chromes sound awesome on a Jazz Bass. Steve

4. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    +1 :bassist:
    Chromes are awesome!!!

5. thanks guys for the fantastic imformation and fast replys

6. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Well, I consider the stock Fender string you're talking about to be low tension. Everyone seems to recommend TI (Thomastik Infeld? Can't remember how to spell it) Jazz Flats whenever low tension flats are mentioned.. Never tried them, but that's what I hear. Also, I hear that D'addario Chromes are pretty high tension, even more so than Fender flats (somebody please correct me if I have recalled incorrect information).

7. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Nope, Fender flats are higher tension. I recently switched from Fender 9050ML's to Chromes and I bumped up a gauge to keep the tension up there where I like it and they still seem a bit softer to me.

Chromes are very popular around here which is why I decided to give them a try. So far they're a brighter sounding flat compared to the Fenders but I haven't had them on too long yet so they're still settling in. So far I like them just fine. They'd be a good safe choice for trying out flats for the first time.

BTW--I tried Webstrings flats for awhile and hated them. They just sounded dead and dull to me and I pulled them off after about a month or two. Others here have said they like them, though, so it just shows that there's no single answer for everyone.

8. JKambing

JKambing

Aug 5, 2008
    Singapore
    Thanks for clarifying, Rugaar.. Not to derail the OP's thread, but everyone keeps saying that Chromes are bright sounding flat, and I have heard people say the same about Rotosound Jazz flats. Yet, I have never seen any A/B comparison of the two (at least as far as I've searched). Any idea why? I think maybe the answer to my question may be useful to the OP, too? In case he wants some information on the various brands of flats..

9. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Roto's have a rep of being high tension, so many people don't even bother trying.