Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

flats? roundwound? nut?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eric arcia, Jul 22, 2004.

1. hey i have doubts about a lot of terms i seen on the site since i don´t live in the states. what part of the bass is the nut? whats the diferenece between flatwound and rounwound strings(sound)? can u use any strings on a fretless bass or do they have to be especifically for fretless? anyone?

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well the string FAQ post will answer your string questions. A nut is that little piece of material at the top of the fretboard that the strings go through before they go into the tuners. It depends how your fretboard is treated. If the fret board is coated in some kind of epoxy you can use any string you want, but if it's not you have to use strings that are coated usually in nylon so you won't scratch up the wood.

3. You can use either flat or rounds on a fretless...the main thing you dont want to do is slap and pop stuff on your fretless as it severely shortens the life of the fingerboard from the metal strings striking the surface. Which string you use depends on the feel and overall sound that you prefer.
    Hope this helps...

4. The Nut is located......see attachments...

[​IMG]

You can use any type of string on a fretless but Roundwounds are known for eating up boards faster than Flatwounds, basically because of the winding as you can see in the photo above!

Hope this is helpful!

[​IMG]
    Treena