Flats set closest to Fender 9050sl 5 string set?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by onda'bass, Jan 13, 2015.

1. onda'bass

onda'bass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    I love theses strings, but they don't make them in this gauge or 5 string anymore. Suggestions welcome

2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I too hate when they stop making something you love.
    Only thing i can say is get the light set at 45/60/80/100
    Close as your going to get unfortunately unless you find a used set somewhere.
    If anyone tries to tell you to get a set of Chromes because they are the same string dont believe that crap.

onda'bass likes this.
  3. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    yea, I read enough about that chrome comparison....grr fender why!!. I know I can get a fender 4 string pack, but The B string is the issue, as it needs to fit sonically.

4. shawshank72 likes this.
  5. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    yea, gauges are spot on...but what do they sound like in comparison?
    I have tried some other kinds: GHS...meh hated em tonally, feel was nice.... TI are to much like wet noodles.......Roto 77 are weak output and went dead fast with unbalanced output from strings.....

6. I have no personal experience with them (just yet), but based on what I've been reading, they would be a nice middle-of-the-road flats - not quite as bright as either the Chromes or the Fenders, but not as dark and thumpy as GHS or La Bella.

Tension-wise, they would be half-way between the Chromes and the TI - not too tight, not too floppy.

onda'bass likes this.
  7. Martin Beer

Martin Beer

Dec 4, 2004
    I haven't used the Fenders, but I'm currently playing the Sadowskys and I've had Chromes and Ernie Balls before that. I know the Fenders aren't identical to Chromes or EBs, but they're kind of in the family, right?
    The Sadowskys have a lot more of the traditional flatwound thump thing going on than Chromes do. There's still a bit of treble on the top, but they sound and feel like a very different style of string IMO. The tension feels a little less than similar gauge Chromes and they're smoother feeling.

onda'bass likes this.
  8. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Good stuff, thanks guys!

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Ernie Balls are in the family for tone, kind of half-way between Chromes and Fenders. Chromes are definitely not in the same family.

onda'bass and shawshank72 like this.
  10. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    I'm having the exact problem as the OP. Anybody got any other thoughts on the subject?

11. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    This is just my experience but Fender flats are just fender flats.
    But if i had to say a brand that is close would be Sadowsky flats.

OOD likes this.
  12. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for the reply. I may try my luck with those.

13. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Well..... I tried chromes because they came in the gauge I wanted (132-40), I must say they don't sound like fenders, but man I do like them......

14. OOD

OOD

Jul 29, 2009
    Are they more mellow than fenders?

15. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Well... Hard to be exact as the fenders are 3 years old. I think the Chromes are brighter and thinner sounding so far, feel is similar to me, also they are on two different basses with different pickups/electronics. I like the brightness, can eq some low/low mids in. I think I'm happy but will update in a month.

16. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    How do you like the B string?

17. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    At first meh....but it is breaking in and starting to sound nice. Feels great!

18. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I ran into the same issue when I played the dickens out of a Fender flats 4-string set, and the E string was finally a little thumpy. I couldn't get a single. After trying everything commercially available in a single, I found out that Ernie Ball flats are about half-way between Fenders and Chromes: a little more character than Chromes, and a little less growl than Fenders.

The Ernie Ball B-string, at .130, is my favorite flat B string because it has moderate tension for a flat, it has the definition necessary to be pitch-wise and tonally secure, and like all good flats, lasts a long time because of the integrity of the windings.

Levin and onda'bass like this.
  19. onda'bass

Sep 5, 2010
    Buffalo Ny
    Well I must say these (Chromes) do take a loooooooong time to break in. I dig em' a little more each day.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021