Flats suggestions for a Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ElBajista, Mar 15, 2006.

1. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Now that I have a P with rounds I need a Jazz with flats. :D

I've been listening to Led Zeppelin lately, and I really love the huge tone that JPJ gets out of his jazz. What strings did John use? Labella flats?

Also, I might give in and see what all the TI Flats hype is about. How would you describe the tone of these strings? Anyone use them with a Jazz? If so, what pickups do you use in combination with the strings?

Thanks in advance!

2. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Believe it or not JPJ used Rotosound strings on his Fender jazz in the early days.
  3. TI jazz flats all the way :)
    I have em on my 68 P and my Sadowski UV70
  4. Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Put the Rounds on the Jazz, and the flats on the Precision.
  5. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Roto flats? I could have sworn I heard that he played Labellas.

I just cemented a deal with a guy for a lightly-used set of TIs. :D Can't wait!

I thought about this, but I want to try them out on the Jazz first. I have a killer set of (IIRC) Ernie Ball Slinkys(?) on the P and I'm love the tone I get out of the P.I'll experiment by switching strings around a coupla' times.

This is going to be my "Oldschool-with-flats" jazz. Later I'll get my "suped-up-modernish" jazz, most likely a DJ5. :D
  6. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    JPJ used Rotosound roundwounds with zepellin. He had used flats in his session days but moved to roudns for more sustain and less thump.
  7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What he said.
  8. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Wow, My mistake then. Thanks for the tip!
  9. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I use Thomastik Jazz Flats on both my Classic 60's Jazz and MIM P. Love them on both. Not too thumpy, although I can certainly dial in enough thump to make almost any speaker flap. Nice meaty tone & I love the way they feel.
  10. ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    D'Addario Chromes

Very decent flats, reatain quite a bit of brightness
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Lakland and Sadowsky both private-label great sets of flats for J-basses, but for the JPJ sound use rounds and work with the amp EQ to get a big, round sound with muted highs.
  12. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I'll have to give these a try sometime, too. Can't wait for my TIs!
  13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Fender 9050ML's sound great on a jazz bass! :hyper:
  14. I heard that JPJ used nylon tapewounds...am I to take that as bunk?
  15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I read an interview that JPJ did once about what strings he used. He said he switched to roundwounds during his session days, because they gave a punchier sound that flatwounds did.

Plus, if you watch the Song remains the same movie, look at his right hand during Black Dog(they pan in on it near the end)Those strings are definitely not tapewound-but admittedly, they do look like flats to me.

I guess JPJ knows though :hyper:
  16. Well, it sounds damn good, whatever he used.

My favorite JPJ tone is his 8-string Alembic, though, as used on Presence. "Nobody's Fault but Mine" = :D :D :D