Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats that sound like rounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 29, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been using Chromes on my Pbass, and I'm looking for more of a round wound sound, but not the RW feel. So what do you guys say?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    TI Jazz Flats. Has so much of a roundwound sound I had to get rid of them. They're really rounds disguised as flats.

3. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    Jimmy's got a point. "Gritty-est" flats I've ever heard. And the flavor lasts and lasts...

4. travatron4000

travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    D'addario's Half Rounds. I tried them so I could have flat feel with round sound. They sound really "round". They aren't quite as smooth feeling as Chromes especially but they're very close.

5. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    Do the TI's have the same tension as Fender 9050's. Because I'm looking for some new strings and this is what it's down to.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    they get my vote! Great sounding strings for a warm roundwoundish tone.

7. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    ken smith compressor series are nice for a little twang. they are ground like flats but have a bright, snappy tone with some thump. i use them pretty regularly and have always liked them.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    TI's have the same tension as Fender 9050's? Not even close. TI's are a very loose string. If you want comparable tension to 9050's, I would try those ground or compression wound strings.

9. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1.

Totally unscientific anecdote FWIW: I was testing a new bass recently (a Bongo) to see if I wanted one (I do), comparing it to my main fretted bass, which has TI Jazz Flats. I took the brand-new TI Jazz Flats off my fretless and put them on the Bongo.

Everything went great until at one point the D string slipped on the peg because it was too short (different headstock configuration, not enough wraps) so I put the Bongo's original brand-new roundwound Ernie Ball D string back on.

To my utter astonishment, the sound was nearly the same. The TI's were a tad thicker, and a tad less zingy, but just a tad... it was so close that when playing with other instruments you really couldn't hear any difference. Kind of like the diff between a brand-new roundwound and one that's starting to break in, but isn't dead yet. This may have been, and probably was, influeced by the aggressive preamp in the Bongo...you might not get the same results out of a garden-variety Jazz bass.

Those TIs are great. No finger noise. They should last forever. Fretwear is not an issue.

YMMV, etc.

10. My TI Jazz Flats have been installed on my MIM-P since 2000, and still going strong. I wipe down after the gig, but nothing else special.

I'm thinking about moving them to my J-Fretless, because I want more thump from the P. Somehow, it doesn't seem that TI Flats have much thump. Considering DA Chromes or LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats for thump. Fender 9050 thump but go dead very fast.

11. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    How about GHS brite flats vs. the TI Jazz flats?