1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats to Danelectro Longhorn

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by busse, Feb 23, 2008.

1. busse

busse

Feb 11, 2008
    Sweden
    I'm looking for flat wound strings to my Danelectro Longhorn, I bought Pyramid Gold short scale flats but the E-string will not fit, it's to long. I got the "thick" part of the E-string up on the tuner. What flats will fit a Danelectro Longhorn with out any modifycations?

I'm from Sweden so I'm not so good in english.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There is a really old thread somewhere on this site about that. Some have had to drill out the tuning peg holes to fit the thicker string. The scale length for the Danelectro Longhorn bass is 29 3/4" so you need to find flats for that scale length. 30" would be close enough.

I have Thomastic flats on my Danelectro DC but it's a regular 34" scale bass and they fit fine although I did have to drill out the hole on the E string tuning peg to get that sting to fit. But for the short scale Longhorn I don't know if the Thomastic short scale strings would work as they are for a 32" scale length. The Thomastic certainly do sound good on my DC though.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Perhaps there are others here who can answer your question with actual brands they've used on a Longhorn. I'm sure there must be some.

3. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I use chromes on my Longhorn also. Didn't sound good for a year but now they're great.

4. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    GHS Precision Flats shortscale.

5. busse

busse

Feb 11, 2008
    Sweden
    Thanks for the answers, I think I try D'Addario Chromes on my Longhorn. Do you know any place to buy those strings who have international shipping that don't have so expensive shipping? I use to buy strings from Strings and beyond but they don't seems to have Chromes in short scale. In Sweden string are expensive compared to US, at least twice the price so it's often cheaper to buy strings from US.

6. got 'em somewhere on ebay for about 20USD. if i remember rightly it was mymusicstuff...

also, i would recommend to go for a lighter gauged set like 40-95. IMO the 45-100 i use have a little bit too much tension for the dano...

7. I use la bella shortscale deep talkin' flats, and they don't fit through the tuning pegs on the E or A strings, so I put a small key ring through the tuning peg hole and wrap the string around the key ring and then the tuning peg. It sounds crazy but it works - been my gigging bass for 2 years and stays in tune quite well.

8. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I had some issues with finding good strings for my old Longhorn. I believe I used a light short scale GHS set,but I'm not positive. It's been almost 10 years. Great bass,great vintage tone. I'm sure you'll find the answer here shortly. -Luke