Flats vs Nylon Tapewound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steve2, Jun 18, 2002.

1. steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    I have a Fender J-Bass that I have Flats on and I prefer flats for the music I play. I am the bassist at my Church but I ocassionally play blues and a little Jazz.

I have bought a Peavey T-40 that has round wound strings that I want to replace. I was thinking of putting more flats on but what kind of sound would Nylon Tapewound give me.

I notice when I use the phase switch on the T-40 I can get kind of a hollow sound and I thought maybe the tapewound may give me more of an acoustic sound. I have never used Nylon strings so I have no idea what sound they would give.

2. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Nylon's are brighter than flat wounds, but they have a fatter sound than rounds. I stuck a set on my fretless a week or so ago (Fender Nylon Filament Rounds) and I instantly got the fretless sound in my head that I've been chasing for years. They are expensive though. Musician's Friend was having a string sale a while back. Maybe you should check and see if they still are.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I've used flats and nylon tapewounds on my fretless... and always ended up going back to roundwounds.

Nylon tapewounds are very mellow. That's about the best way to describe them. Just know that when you are using nylon tapewounds, you lose your ground, and your bass will hum like a mother unless you're touching the bridge.
  4. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Wow! That's really interesting about your grounding problem. I was going to mention that, in my limited experience with tape-wounds, the string tension is greatly reduced. They don't push back at you like flats do and it takes some getting used to.

Could anyone name some recordings where the bass player used tape-wounds? Maybe some of the old timers on here can give us some perspective on where they fit into the history of electric bass strings.
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I used the black tape wounds on my stingray5,I really liked them and I didn't get any humming from them. I like the tape wounds on my ABG, much warmer and deeper than those aweful phosphor bronze strings that come with most ABG's. I'm now using LaBelle stainless flats on the SR5. If you want to try the tape wounds get them from the Carvin site. Supposedly theirs are made by LaBelle but only cost about $15.00 or so.
  6. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I also use the Carvin version of the tapewounds. I think they're great strings. ALthough they tend to feel sticky when you play an outdoor concert in direct sun as I did a couple of weeks ago.