1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Flats vs Roundwound - Tone?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 4, 2006.

1. I have been goofing with different strings lately for my Geddy Lee J Bass. I liked the original Fender 7350M strings that came with it. I've tried DR Hi Beams (45-105). I did not like them, they sounded great, but I could not slide up and down the neck like I wanted to, no matter how much fast fret I used! Anyway, I am currently trying some Ernie Ball Hybrid slinky's. These are ok, they are bright, bring out the highs well, almost too well. I have used GHS Bass Boomers on my Peavey Fury 2, and they were great.

I am looking for a boomy string, something that accentuates the bottom end a lot, but can also keep the highs in the mix, without mudding up with the guitarists.

Suggestions?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I would give Blue Steels a try. I think you will really like them.

3. You may want to try Rotosound Jazz Bass 77 flats. They are very bright for flats and they are very high-tension strings but I bet they've the sound you're looking for.

4. Rotosound Flatwound Jazz77's are very good but for me they lost their brightness after a couple of weeks.
    I use GHS Boomers. Love them. They seem to last pretty well.