Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats with a good B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jongor, Jun 18, 2005.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I recently got a fiver and want to put flats on it. However, I know how hard it is to find a B that sounds good on a 34" scale bass.

Any suggestions on a flat B?

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Best I know of is the .136 that comes in Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. But I dunno how well it would work if you tried to mix 'n' match with different flats. I'd suggest going with the full JF345 set, pricey though that is. At least they last a long time.

3. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Really! Those are my favorites for my 4 string!

I figured because of the low tension, which I love, the B would suck a$$.

Thats good news....thanks!

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That B is very far from sucking. I did get a dud T-I low B once, but T-I's US distributor promptly sent me a new one that was up to spec.

If you like the 4 string set, I think you'll like the 5.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm a big fan of both the TI Flats (on my Bongo 5 string fretted) and the Sadowsky Flats (on my Bongo 5 string fretless).

But, if you are already a fan of TI Jazz Flats you can't go wrong with the 5 string set.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

For a fairly high tension flat, I've found that the D'Addario Chrome Flats are VERY nice. The low B is very tight and bright!

7. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I currently play a Lakland P-bass strung BEAD with D'addario Chrome flats. I originally got it from the Lakland factory with a set TI's on it. Unfortunately this set also had the 4th bad E I'd gotten in a row from TI (low end comparable to the A and very zingy). I don't know why it took me so long to learn my lesson.

My impression of the TI jazz flat B:

Way too middy!!!!!! It was overpowering and really didn't balance well. B's already don't balance well IMO but this was ridiculous. Then of course there's that famous TI low tension. A blessing and a curse at the same time. I can no longer deal with it.

The D'addario Chrome flats are best described as a medium tension flats. They have a hex core so are a little bright, it'll die down though. They are also less "sticky" than other flats because they have a chrome coating on the outside.

8. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    You know what, I just dug through my closet and found an unused set of Chrome 4's, maybe I'll just get a B from Juststrings to go with them.....I've always liked those strings, and used them for a long time before putting the TI's on my 4.

9. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    Sadowsky Flats, are by far the best an most balanced 5 string set I've eve used. The "B" is taperwound and sounds like the other strings.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sadowsky flats are nice, but I think I prefer the B string of the TI Jazz Flats.

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I put D'Addario Chromes on my Stingray5 and I absolutely love them. I'm finnally 100% in love mith my Stingray. I haven't tried other brands but I love the sound I get with the flats on the Sr5.

Take care...

12. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Did I read that right on Juststrings.com? They want $18.00 for a single D'Addario XL Chrome (.132) flat. I bought a set of these in 4 string pack to put on my MIM jazz. But I just won a 5 string fretless on the bay last nite so I figured to order a single B string to use on this new fretless 5, but geez is that reasonable for one string? BTW, I emailed BG and they say the stock strings on that bass, KSD proto-j fretless 5er are the Ken Smith med lites. Are those round wound? Is it bad to use anything but flats on a fretless?

13. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    Ya, and over $20 with shipping.....might as well get a complete set.

I'm having a hard time finding the strings I like on a certain bass, and boy is hard to do with the cost of them!

You can use rounds on a fretless, but depending on the fretboard wood and the string, you'll get wear.

I'd recommend the Thomastik jazz flats, or Daddario Chromes.

14. Toneman

Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    best kept secret:
    Lakland Joe osborn signature flats. I have chromes on one jazz bass & the laklands on my other and the chromes are a fine string but the laklands made by GHS are killer.