Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Flats with a Tapered B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Joe Smithberger, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Does anyone manufacture flats with a tapered B string? I am looking to hook up my MIA Jazz Deluxe (thru body bridge).

2. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Bump.

3. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This may be a dumb question, but: What would be the point?:confused:

4. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I am playing a MIA Fender five string where the strings feed through the body. Intonation on this bass is barely possible with a .125 B string. Anything larger is not possible to get perfect unless it is taper wound. In an ideal world, I would like to use a larger diameter, flat wound, string to keep the tension on the B more similar to the other strings and to get the intonation correct.

5. I have some D'Addario Half rounds on my Godin 5 string and it has a tapered B. I'm considering pure flats next time, but I don't know if the D'Addario flat B is tapered or not. BTW both the halfs and the flats come in super long scale (although you may have to special order them) so you can string through the body.

6. Joe Smithberger

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Thanks Rob,

I had the half rounds on my four string once (tuned BEAD) but didn't like the feel very much. I do recall that the B was tapered. Maybe someone else knows if their Chromes have a tapered B. It doesn't mention it on Just Strings.

Those half rounds were strange. It felt like they were actually harder to slide around on than the rounds because of the sharp grooves. Kind of like not getting the best of either flat or round strings. It may have been different if I was a fretless guy.

7. I have d'Addario Chromes on my 5 strings Warwick and the B is not tapered ..