1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Flats with complex mids

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jallenbass, Feb 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Based on what I've read and/or tried that would be TI Jazz Flats and Sadowsky Blue Label Flats. Any other opinions?

Pbassmanca and salcott like this.
  2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    LaBella would be my vote.

srayb likes this.
  3. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Based on my experience LaBellas don't have much going on in the mids. Good lows and highs though.

4. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Depends what bass you put them on.

5. Klonk

Klonk

Apr 28, 2011
    Norway
    Yeah I wouldn't consider LaBellas "complex mids" either, but it's a very subjective term.

The typical suggestions would indeed be TIs and Sadowsky, both black and blue label, I'd say. To my ears, over different basses, and with well-worn in strings, the difference between LaBella DTB flats and Sadowsky black label flats is that the Sads are less scooped mid-wise. But don't forget LaBella's new Gold flats, I am testing these now, and they have alot more going on in the mids than their traditional DTB brethren.

Being a nickel flat, some people say that Pyramid Gold is a well-balanced sounding flat too, but they are very dark..

6. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    TIs were Very middy for me...excessively so...and not complex. Very subjective indeed.

The LaBella Copper White Nylons seem to get all the talk about mids.

JusttheBassics likes this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What are complex mids?

8. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    +1

First time I've heard mids described as complex. Could someone post an audio sample?

9. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Rotosound RS66 have what I consider complex mids.

10. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    That's a string that I've been reading about and is on my short list.

JusttheBassics likes this.
  11. ASQTec

ASQTec Above Average

May 2, 2010
    When used to describe food, whiskey, cigars, etc., complex typically refers to layers of flavor.

Maybe the OP was referring to overtones, harmonics and fundamentals?

12. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Agree. Rounds have complex mids which is where all the growl and snarl come from. Most Flats have simple straight forward mids that are clean; clear, and concise.

13. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I did forget about those. Added to my list.

14. the flats I like best are Dunlop and next best is Fender ( that is B-G strings Dunlop.... E-G Fender) and for C string ... TI is the best.

jallenbass likes this.
  15. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I do recall Fenders having interesting mids now that you mention it. Have not tried Dunlop.

16. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    You're right. At first they sound complex to me but that does go away with age and use.

17. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Right along with your $$.

18. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    I'd suggest some GHS Pressurewounds. Not quite rounds, not quite flats. Definitely more pleasant to the touch than most groundwounds or half-flats. With foam, you can get clicky flats, without foam, a nice growly (without being overdriven or overly springy) tone -- in both cases, with lots of punch (especially on a P-bass).

Mystic Michael likes this.
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Talking low mids? High mids? TI's do seem to offer what I'd call a full spectrum midrange, meaning they aren't especially low mid focused, yet the upper mids are slightly attenuated, but very much there. TI's are really great for those who don't like to dime their tone knob all the time because those rich, full spectrum mids seem to compliment all the right frequencies the bass needs to be present in a live mix. It doesn't mean they're bright necessarily, just very present. I'd say they kind of straddle the upper fundamental.

All that said, I don't use them. IME, they're very particular about which basses they seem to work really well with and which ones they don't, both sonically and feel-wise. The basses I currently use favor something else. When I get a new bass, they're usually the first set I try, as they seem to be a good starting point that will guide me in the direction of what will compliment a given bass, both tone and setup wise.

Pbassmanca, Levin and fclefgeoff like this.
  20. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Roto, Daddario and Ernie Ball are among the most mid-present flats out there.

LaBellas are in between.

GHS and Pyramid are thumpinators.

That's what my ears say about the ones I have a lot of experience with.